New Steyr AUG!

ShipWreck

Got this in last Friday. Sold my 2nd PS90 in order to fund it...

My optic came in yesterday as well (Meprolight M21 Reflex optic with a triangle reticle - nice to finally have something battery free)... Just waiting on my sling....

I previously had an MSAR AUG - now, I have the real deal... A Steyr AUG!!!

Aug1000_zps75a50abe.jpg~original

ShipWreck

Yes, I've seen that online a while. I'll reserve judgement until I shoot this.

Bullpups are my preference. And, I do very well with my PS90 trigger. i'll see what I think of the stock trigger before I spend that. But, we'll see :)

Jo6pak

Nice rifle.
Can you use AR mags in the Steyr, or are they only made for the original style AUG mags?

ShipWreck

They make two versions.. One that uses AR mags and one that does not.

Initially, I wanted the one that did. But, I do not have an AR anyway. And, Steyr mags are known for durability and being pretty much bulletproof when it comes to issues.

When everyone did the mag rush recently, AR mags were in short supply... Steyr mags could still be found. I just went with the one that uses the Steyr mags. Eventually I will save up enough mags that it is a non issue...

Jo6pak

Thanks for the info. I have a pile of AR mags(for my DR200) already and was curious about compatibility.
I've always wanted an AUG and got to shoot one a while back and really fell in love.
If I sell my M1A, I may get crazy and buy a Steyr.

Let us know how it shoots.
I'm specifically interested on how it runs with Steel-cased ammo.

Thanks again, nice rifle.

ShipWreck

I never plan to use steel cased stuff, so I can't help ya with that. But from what I have read from others, it will

just don't mix steel and brass. steel is often lacquered and can get the bore gummy. the brass fits tighter, and can weaken the extractor when it is gummed up by the lacquer and is harder to extract. if you pick up the hybrid bolt from ratworx, it will take AR extractors.

batmann

I agree on the mixing of steel and brass, but not because of lacquered coating. Most issues are from mixing is the steel case does not expand like brass and leaves a powder residue in the chamber (Russian steel case is very dirty) making brass hard to extract.
If you decide to shoot steel and brass on the same trip, shoot the brass cased ammo first then pop off the steel.
I have shot over 2000 steel case through my S&W M&P with zero problems, but if I intend to use both, I shoot the brass first.
Nice looking rifle and here's hoping you shoot many, many rounds through it and enjoy it.