New Springfield SA-35

As big of a Springfield fan I am, I don't think this will be part of my collection anytime soon. That platform just chews up the web of my thumb something fierce.

Heard a lot of good things about the 35, though...

44 AMP

Staff
Friend of mine has one, I've handled it. Seems to have all the desirable features of the Hi Power and none of the undesirable ones. I consider it an improved Hi Power.

If I were in the market for a 9mm, it would be my choice over any polymer framed striker fired anything....but that's just me. ;)

mk70ss

AMP quote:
“Friend of mine has one, I've handled it. Seems to have all the desirable features of the Hi Power and none of the undesirable ones. I consider it an improved Hi Power.

If I were in the market for a 9mm, it would be my choice over any polymer framed striker fired anything....but that's just me.”

Agree 100%. Not a fan of plastic guns, no matter how good they are. I prefer wood and steel.

rock185

I've had an SA-35 for a year and a half or so now. The improved sights and safety are similar to what I paid a gunsmith to add to my Browning Hi Powers years ago. Enjoy that new Hi Power.

jmr40

For serious work I prefer a plastic gun. But I do like that one and could see one in my safe in the future. It would likely be a range use only gun, but that's OK.

RickB

Girsan's Hi-Power clone is available with beavertail, ambi safety, optics-ready, and with light rail, if a "modern" HP is your desire.

gwpercle

I would buy one on Looks Alone ... Blue steel , checkered walnut grips and one of the sexiest looking handguns ever built ... where were you 20 years ago when I had money and eyes that could focus .

Awesome Pistol ... I hope it shoots as good as it looks !
Gary

44 AMP

Staff
The absence of a beavertail, light rail, ambi safety and optic provision IS what I desire. Additionally the Turk guns handled seem loose, rattle, and just don't look or feel as good.

Cheaper, yes. However, I'm at the point in my life where I want what I want, and don't want what I don't want, and a fistful of dollars only matter as a western movie.

mk70ss

I like the Springfield version because it has none of the crap I don’t need. I like blued steel, wood grips, open sights, and a good trigger. All that othe stuff is superfluous to me.

Sharkbite

Im pretty sure i still have the factory SA-35 grips in my parts bin. My Wife got me a pair of G10 grips for mine. If anyone needs em PM me. Cost of shipping gets em to you.

PolarFBear

Sharkbite

I'm a player. Tell me how much to send and where. They will look good on my Belgian High Power from 1965. Blue is deep and lustrous.

TunnelRat

I’ve had a few Hi Powers, either directly made and sold by FN and then imported from Israel or Browning imports. I like the pistol aesthetically, but there are a number of other pistols I like better, including those made of steel and with wood grips. That said the Springfield version seems nice, enjoy your new firearm.

rodfac

I've had my SA-35 for several months now and have had good/great success with it. It's been 100% reliable through over 1000 rounds now firing a mix of LSWC's & Conicals, as well as a variety of FMJ's & JHP's. I've yet to have a malfunction with it....can't honestly remember another pistol that's been that good, and right out of the box, too.

The trigger has been good/excellent right out of the box and has steadily improved with shooting. It now compares with several of my gunsmith tweaked 1911 Colts. The combination of a good shooter's trigger and a great fitting bbl. has resulted in a gun that's more accurate than either of my two other HP's, both of which are Brownings.

From a solid rest, several of my handload prescriptions plus American Eagle's 125 gr FMJ's will consistently give me ~2" groups at 25 yards. This is the limit of my vision now & I can't do better even with any of my target guns; all holdovers from my days shooting NRA Bullseye competition.

When I first got the SA-35, I thought the factory grips were a bit thicker than my Browning HP's and not particularly to my liking. I fitted them out with a pair of Hogue's that have given it more of 1911 feel in the hand. HP's are justly famous for their feel ergonomics and this one is no exception...especially so with the new Hogues. Not to mention that they're truly good looking...

Lastly, I've got to mention that the Springfield designed safety on this gun is outstanding. Original HP's, those from the early years had a miserable little button thing that was a royal PITA to find and disengage...this one is more akin to the Mklll types as seen in the last of the FN produced HP's.

All in all, it's a very well set up gun, and one that I've been carrying almost daily. Here's the obligatory pic with the Hogues installed. Best regards, Rod

Last edited: