New Springfield M1 garand

Gopher

A buddy of mine just bought one. It has serial number 0080. Springfield is making a limited number of new Garands. New wood, recievers, and barrels with the rest of the parts being reconditioned GI. It is a beautiful weapon but he said due to the low serial number he's probably not gonna shoot it. Cost was $840 plus tax. Anyone else seen or heard any test or reports on these guns?

3 gun

Saw one at the last show. Looks good and the first feedback I've heard has all been good. I can't understand why your friend wouldn't shoot his rifle, I don't ever see these becoming a collectable like the real Garands can be. I was thinking of getting one just so I could shoot it rather than my near perfect 5950xxx numbered SA that I got thru the CMP. The truth is I will most likely get a danish with my tax return and pass on these rifles. Why pay $800 + for a nonGI when I can get a real USGI for 500 or a good shooting danish for 400. A new stock and refinishing would still have me below the cost of the new SA and looking just as good.

BobR

3 gun,

How right you are!!

Why feed the SA coffers when the REAL thing can be had for less.

bob