New Springfield 45

ZeusOne

I'm picking up my new 2001 SA .45ACP 1911, fullsize SS on the way home tonight. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited.

I've often read that generically speaking, 1911's may require a "break-in" period before they will function reliably. Is this true of the Springfield .45s? I'd feel more comfortable about potential initial failure-to-functions if other SA owners could share their experiences.

(No anti-1911 flames please, I'm looking for useful information here.)

1911Fencer

I bought a slightly used 1911A1 SS Loaded from a buddy of mine. He only had between 200-300 rounds through it, so it's 'broken in'

He told me he had NO problems with it at all. It fed two different types of hollowpoints, FMJ and some 185gr Semi Wadcutters without any hitches. Since I've gotten in, I put some FMJ and a few Winchester Silvertips (185gr) through it, and had no problems.

I hope your experience is as good as mine. It's a great gun, and I'm glad I got it. She's a keeper!

Of course, if it is fussy, give it about 250-300 rounds to settle down.

M@

RWK

ZeusOne . . .

I own two full-size Springfield 1911A1s: (1) a 1999 stainless loaded and (2) a 2001 ArmoryKote TRP. Both have been wonderful handguns, superior in EVERY respect. The "loaded" had a few (<5 failures-to-fire) during the first ~300 rounds, while the TRP has had zero jams, failures-to-fire, and so forth. By the way, my Kimber stainless Custom/Classic -- the competitive model with the "loaded" -- had a 2+ percent failure-to-fire rate for the first ~500 rounds.

The 2001 Springfields are a real improvement over their already excellent earlier models.

All this said: (1) enjoy you Springfield, I am sure you will be delighted with it and (2) some break-in is common, but I'll guess it will be -- worst case -- brief and minor.

PS (and I should have been thorough enough to add this to my initial post, above):
Most jams and failures-to-feed in 1911A1 type semiautomatics are magazine-related. You will be very wise to immediately buy a couple Wilson mags (in whatever capacity you prefer). Factory 1911A1 magazine are -- at best -- a "hit or miss" proposition.

Last edited:
ANY semi-auto handgun may require a break-in period before it is 100% reliable.

It's not unlike a car. The moving parts have to wear their own set of tolerances.

nwgunman

I bought two SA "loaded" psitols lately: a full size and a compact. The full size needed some tuning but the compact has been faultless from the start. The full size has been more magazine sensitive that the compact. Both have been retro-fitted with MMC night sights. Neither seems to be as accurate as my new Kimber compact. However, I am a really lousey shot so don't get too hinky about that last comment. Stay safe.

neil pilling

My Loaded needed about 200rds before it would run reliably. A couple of Wilson mags didn't hurt either. The Loaded is the first gun that I reach for when a IDPA or IPSC match is coming up.

Good luck w/ the new gun

Glock_Racer

It should take around 300 rounds to break it in and within that period, if you don't experience any feeding or ejecting problems, you should be ok. Please post a range report when you get to shoot it!

ZeusOne

Well, thanks to all for your replies. Unfortuantely, I will not be able to give you a range report for a while.

Remember, this is a NIB 2001 model from a reputable local dealer. I disassembled the gun for it's initial inspection, cleaning and lube before firing. I discovered a horrible tooling mark on the front portion of the guide rod, four or five parallel rows of deep scratches running down most of it's length. The rasied edges had not yet damaged the spring follower inner-race when the factory test-fired, but I'm very surprised and extremely dismayed that this got past their QC.

So I called SA customer service this morning, and the best that they will do is send me a new piece, but only AFTER they get the defective one back. They will NOT do an advance exchange of this inexpensive part to get me up quicker.

So I've got a brand new Springfield 45 that I won't be able to shoot for at least another two weeks now. I can definitely say that I'm not happy about the initial quality, or with their warranty policy on this matter.

My first Springfield, my first impression. The thrill of this new purchase is gone.....

:(

bullet44

Zeusone;
I have two springfields and enjoy both, have
found springfield to have some of the best customer service in the firearms industry.
However with poor quality work that is "now"
being done through out America(what little
manufacturing we have left) a few marks on
guide rod should not bring you down.

jakester

Early SA 1911

I have two Springfield Armory 1911's in want would be called Mil Spec today. They are both about 10yrs old and used for awhile in IPSC competition (before the hicap frenzy). One I used in the "Stock" class and the other in the "open" class (in the late 80's/early 90's). The open has one of SA Kwikcomps. Both are reliable and have seen rounds from 230gr/850fps to 152gr/1200fps. Love them and looking for a third one soon.

1911A1 fan

ZEUSONE, Glad to hear that you are happy with your new Springfield. The one thing you didn't say anything about was the intended use for this gun! If it's soda cans at 20 yards that one thing, but if its for self-defense thats another. Any new gun new should be put to the test before you consider it reliable. As for Mike Irwin, Mike when your great grand kids head t o the range with thier 1911s and think back at your Glock craze I will smile in my grave. stay safe. 1911fan:D

ZeusOne

UDATE:

1) The new guide rod assembly arrived 12 days after I mailed in the original. Judging from other posts, this appears to be slightly better than the norm.

2) The gun functioned without failure through 100 factory loads and 25 ZeusOne brand reloads.

3) The rear Novak sight fit is very lose in the dovetail, held in place only by the allen screw, which backed out several times. I guess loctite will fix this, but I certainly would prefer a tighter dovetail fit, one that requires at least a little drift action for adjustment. I might just end up sending the slide back to SA. Any comments?

bullet44: You're absolutely right, and I should readjust my expectations to match reality. But it's still a shame.

1911A1 fan: My intended use is simply to buy one while I still can. Maryland, a Kennedy as Lt. Governor, rights-impeded if not totally trampled on, no hope of ever seeing CCW here. So it's a 12 guage pump, and then for household SD purposes only. On the street, heck, a criminal has more rights here than I do.