New SP101

gumshoe4

Well, I was thinking about getting a small auto, so I went to the local gunshop here and looked at a Beretta 950 Jetfire. Nice gun, but right next door, there was a new (and California-approved!!) Ruger SP101 calling to me. I bought the Ruger, even though that's not really what I started out to do.

Rant on...Now, all I have to do is to certify that I have a California-approved "Firearms Safety Device" which is either on an approved list or meets certain specifications set forth in the new law, wait 10 days (even though they get the clearance immediately off your drivers' license data strip) and go pick the gun up. :barf: Rant off....

Anyway, I have never owned a Ruger revolver before. I know the SP101 is strong like bull, but anyone have any particular info regarding this piece that they'd like to pass along? Carry, holsters, problems, ammo, etc.?

I'm thinking about a 110-grain mag load for carry. Any ideas about that?

Thanks in advance for the help.

MedicatedOne

The SP101 is a great gun. The one drawback I had with mine is that the trigger just never got to be that good. I shot it well, but not as well as my 649.
I traded my SP101 towards my Glock 29, 10mm. :)
I carried 125gr Gold Dots in mine, but the 110gr is easier to handle and a good load in its own right.
I had no carry problems at all.
The holster selection is more limited than the smith J-frames, but they are out there if you look hard enough.
You have a good weapon, enjoy it and shoot well.

DanP

Which one did you end up with?

I bought a used SP101 (357, ~3") a number of weeks back.

Built like a tank, absolutely love it. Great on either hand and smooth in double-action once you get used to it.

For me, a full .357m load with that revolver is too much to shoot comfortably for more than a few sequential shots at the range.

So I switched to the same JHP Federal ammo but in 38+p, which is somewhere in between and totally manageable IMO. An arguable point for sure.

I bought it as a carry unit but I decided to keep it elsewhere, but then again I somehow can't even conceal a roll of mints...

juliet charley

Mine worked well in an Alessi Talon holster.

I would stick to R-P .38 Special 158-grain +P LSWCHPs. The muzzle blast and controllability really aren't worth anything might gain by going to .357 Magnum (particularly 125-grain JHPs).

Sisco

Hogue grips and a Wolf spring kit helped my groups a bunch. It's especially accurate with .38 spcl. 148gr HBWC's, likes 125gr .357 hollow points too.

Ben Shepherd

EXCELLENT choice.

I've been carrying mine for a couple years as ccw weapon. Mine is the DAO 2 1/4" version. I've gotten to where I actually like the heavy trigger pull that most people complain about.

One word of caution: Snubbies with heavy triggers are difficult to master, but stay with it. Sight picture is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL with these little fire-breathers. You need to shoot it A LOT to master it, and then probably weekly to maintain your skill level. (In the 2 years I've had mine I've put a little over 30,000 rounds of 357 mag through it. I also use snap caps to do 100 rounds of dry-fire practice every night.)

When I first got mine I could barely keep all five shots on a regular size piece of paper at 7 yards. Now I can routinely shoot 2" groups at 25 yards.

My personal reasons for purchasing mine:

1. I bought it to shoot 357, not 38 or 38+p. This is one of, if not the only, out-of-the-box snubbie capable of a diet of exclusively 357 magnum ammo, while still being able to outlive the owner. Also the extra weight over other snubbies helps with recoil control.

2. I carry 125 grain Remington Golden Sabers. I feel that 110 is just too light at snubbie velocities. Don't let anyone convince you that 357 has no more punch that 38+p out of the short barrel. I and several others on this board have disproven that little fib several times over. (Although the recoil and muzzle blast take getting used to.)

3. I recommend Houge mono-grips. The factory grips were just a hair too short for my pinky finger to hold on to. The end result was after the first shot, unless I changed my grip, was the bottom of the grip would be resting on top of my pinky finger, giving me the first shot where I aimed, the last four grouped nicely about 1" high.

4. Do not skimp on a good rig. The SP101 is fairly heavy for it's size, so you've got to have a good stout rig to keep it where you want it due to its compact nature of weight distibution. Mine gets carried in an Alessi ankle rig(which in my not so humble opinion has no equal, I tried seven other rigs prior to laying out just over $100 for this rig), or a Don Hume S.O.B. rig as a general rule.

DanP

>>I've been carrying mine for a couple years as ccw weapon. Mine is the DAO 2 1/4" version...I've put a little over 30,000 rounds of 357 mag through it...Now I can routinely shoot 2" groups at 25 yards. <<

Mr. Shepherd, that is really just great!!

Just today I decided to practice with my SP only in DA, while before it was mixed.

But 2" @ 25, with 357???

Wow!! You've given me something to aim towards, although I doubt I'll ever get to that level.

Ben Shepherd

DanP, If you can shoot any other revolver that well, the SP101 WILL do the same thing. (FACT!!)

But look what it took 2 years of to get there:

1. Bi-weekly range trips.

2. DAILY draw and dryfire practice.

3. I've finally setteled on only 1 load that I carry with. And my hand-loaded practice rounds are almost identical in recoil and ballistics as the carry loads.

4. I also do some shooting out to 100 yards. 90% of the time, all 5 shots hit a target the size and shape of a human torso. It isn't as hard as it sounds: A 125 grain slug at 357 velocities shoots very flat out to a little over 100 yards.

This is not meant as bragging in any way. When I bought this gun it was with the idea of protecting my life with. And I now have complete confidence in my ability to do so.
I know there are many people that could shoot circles around me on any given day, but I am fairly confident that most of these people would be on the same side of a given situation as myself.

How could I dare do anything but get myself to this point with the gun my very existance may well depend on some day?

gunner357

Mine is DAO version. Lots of dry firing. I try weekly range visits. Keep range limits to 20 yards and in. Lots of instinctive shooting were I find this little gun shines. I can empty a cylinder into the 9 and 10 ring with regularity at 15-20 feet. When I have a good day out of 25 rounds I can cover 20 with my closed fist.

I like 158SWC-HP at about 900-1000fps. Very controllable in this gun.

Wolf main spring in 10lb. Action has smoothed well with dry firing and shooting. It is a tank.

Tried hogue grips but I do better with factory.

With sighted use shoots a little low and left, will try to regulate in future. Slow DA I shoot it as well as my 3 inch model 66.

My wife has a 3 inch 38 version she can shoot it well left or right handed. Her 50 shot groups usually are one ragged hole at 21 feet.

I carry in a Bianchi model 100, IWB, clip on, leather, Carries very well for me.

Thinking about another one to carry as a brace of pistols.

DanP

Ben & Gunner, good advice.

Not to distract from the original thread/poster, but this is in line with the topic - I bought my SP101 as a defense unit, period.

By now (only about 300 rounds into it) I can comfortably shoot it up to ~10 yards within < 3", absolutely not great but well enough for the intended purpose.

I did however switch to 38+p.

When shooting the full 357mag rounds, I was "consistent"... about 3" to the left of where I was aiming, but tight group otherwise... ;)

Looking forward to develop my skills in DA. Thanks for the inspiration.

juliet charley

I saw my cousin (a DPS Trooper) take my SP101 (which he'd never shot) loaded with R-P .357 Magnum 125-grain JHPs and "roll" can five for five DA. The can was between 25 and 30 yards when he started, I would say it was well over 60 yards when it stopped. Needless to say, I never shoot for money with him. (By the way, he hates the Sigs they carry (both the P220 and the P226/357 Sig) and would like to have his 686 back.

gumshoe4

Wow-great info, everyone!

I've carried and shot my 649 quite a lot, so I'm familiar with 2" revolvers. I got the 2 1/4" SP101, DA/SA. I would have preferred the DAO, but that model is not approved for sale here in Quacksville. I suspect the 101 will be a little easier to shoot with .38s than the 649 because of its slightly larger size and greater weight, but I do want to carry the mag loads in it. I'll have to go and try those out.

As far as carry rigs go, guess I'll have to do some net surfing and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again for all the help.

EzraRiley

I've had an SP101 for about 10 years and love it. I did put some Lett custom grip inserts on it to dress it up a bit. It looks more personal now and I recently painted the front sight tip and the rear sight groove with fluroscent paint. Big difference. Really a fine revolver and though mine is for home self-defense and target shooting, I would not hesitate to take a small deer with it if I was within 35 yards. That would be with a good, hot .357 load.

bad_dad_brad

The SP101 was my very first handgun. It is still my nightstand gun. But I would never carry it. The latest autoloaders, like the Kahr MK9 and the Glock 26 have pretty much, in my mind, because of size and capacity made the 5 shot revolver obsolete for carry.

Still, the SP101 is really a great gun. I would rather have it than any S&W revolver. It is so solid, and I shoot it very well.

Torpedo

Jack Weigand is an excellent gunsmith who can smooth that action up for you. He is well known for his quality work. While his work isn't cheap, it is top notch. You can ask around about his work. You can find his sight at www.jackweigand.com Look under pistolsmith pricing for details of the work he does and his pricing. Just a thought.

22lovr

Speaking of deer and the SP101...

By the way, Georgia Arms manufactures a whopper of a load for .357's called, would U believe....the "deer stopper."
The SP101 is one of those "If you could only have ONE gun" guns.
Strong as a bank vault and you could bury it in the ground, dig it up 100 years later and fire it off. Awesome weapon.

J.T.King

I, too, am a 125gr fan...

As was mentioned before, let me second the choice of the Remmington Golden Saber at 125gr (.357) out of snubbies. They are designed to expand reliably at the lower velocities that he snubbies give, and are a touch lighter in the recoil department than the hotter end of the breed.

I have shot these bullets out of my step-father's sp101 on several occasions and find that the gun and those rounds are superior to my own .38sp+P out of my ultra-light (10.5oz) S&W.

JT

Phideaux

Howdy! My only suggestion is whenever you remove the trigger group.... do it gently and with care. As in, don't force it apart. Once you completely depress the spring loaded retaining pin at the rear, it will slide out nicely.

After you've cleaned/oiled the trigger group, be even more careful about correctly placing the transfer bar in its correct location and indexing the front of the group into the frame before snapping the assembly back into position. Again being careful not to force it into place. I almost hose-bagged mine before I figured out the correct way to do it.

Hope this helps.
John