new smith and wesson revolvers...

BOBA FETT

in the new smith and wesson catalog i saw some new interesting revolvers...one that caught my eye was a model 69 .44 magnum combat....there were also some performance center 9mm revolvers that looked pretty cool but pricey..

Are you sure about the number? The 69 was an "experimental" revolver according to Supica and Nahas.

Of course, that's no more confusing than referring to a 9mm N-Frame as the 929.

S&W Model 69 L-Frame .44 Magnum Combat 4.25" Barrel 5 rounds.
Interesting. I used to have a 696, which is the same concept. The chamber walls and forcing cone were wafer-thin. I wonder how they'll make it work with the Magnum loads.

Like the 696, I imagine it'll fail to take off, be discontinued, then fetch ridonkulous prices on the secondary market.

SaxonPig

Well, it is an interesting concept. I suppose the 5 chamber cylinder allows the 44 caliber to be safely used on the L frame platform.

I suspect the 4.25" barrel is to allow sales in areas with barrel restrictions (I know in Canada a handgun barrel must be "over 4 inches" to be legal). I would like it better if they had gone ahead and made it a 5" barrel. I like the 5" barrel.

I personally hate synthetic grips and I don't care for the look of stainless. But these things are popular with the general public and are durable on a working gun.

I notice they don't show the left side of the gun but I assume it has the lock. I don't care for it (although it's not a deal breaker for me) but some shooters detest it.

I think it would be a serviceable revolver for someone needing a 44 Magnum. Rather pricey at over 900 bucks by the time you pay sales tax, but I guess everything is expensive these days.

JimPage

I like S&W revolvers. But I often think they get their model numbers determined by someone who is, or at least should be, in a straight jacket! :D

salvadore

When do you think Taurus is going to copy Smith by bringing out a mid frame five shot 44 mag, or possibly copying Smith's governor?

Leejack

When do you think Taurus is going to copy Smith by bringing out a mid frame five shot 44 mag, or possibly copying Smith's governor?

I don't know if you're kidding or not, but the Taurus Tracker 44 mag is a 5 shot mid frame, and last I checked the governor came after the judge, no??

jglsprings

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_827559_-1_757767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Interesting. I used to have a 696, which is the same concept. The chamber walls and forcing cone were wafer-thin. I wonder how they'll make it work with the Magnum loads.

Like the 696, I imagine it'll fail to take off, be discontinued, then fetch ridonkulous prices on the secondary market.

Well, I'm counting on getting one this time... Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...

I could care less about full house mag loads in this size pistol. I've got better guns for that kind of shooting. I don't get fired up about "new" guns anymore... This one, I'm very interested in.

I'll get it just before they cancel it and I won't have to pay $1200.00 for the 696. :)

I like S&W revolvers. But I often think they get their model numbers determined by someone who is, or at least should be, in a straight jacket!

I've often wondered the same thing... I think the same savant designed the website as well.

I'd have to look at that N frame 9mm though. I would have thought that would have been much more popular on the L frame.

Looks like the Model 66 is coming back as well. Hmmm...

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_827561_-1_757767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Return of the K-Frame .357 Magnum®
• Full Top Strap and Barrel Serration
• Ball-Detent Lock-Up
• 2-Piece Barrel

The K-Frame revolver is one of the most important innovations in Smith & Wesson history and was built specifically to handle the .38 S&W Special cartridge. Since its introduction in 1899, the K-Frame has been a favorite for military and police professionals as well as target shooters and enthusiasts. Today's K-Frame is available in .22 LR and .38 S&W Special.

ALL BACKED BY OUR SMITH & WESSON LIFETIME SERVICE POLICY.

Availability subject to applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, and ordinances.

Two piece barrel... ICK

Last edited:

salvadore

Sorry Lee, I was just poking some fun @ S&W's crackerjack design team. I wonder if their classics and traditional designs are selling better the scandium 2" etc. shooters.

The two new models look good, I hope they are offered in shorter barrels for the American market.

A 3" .44 mag all stainless configured like my .44 spec. Mountain Lite would be at the top of my must have list

FoghornLeghorn

that's no more confusing than referring to a 9mm N-Frame as the 929.

They made a 'N' frame for the 9 mm?

fishingun.jpg

No offense, but that flower on the sideplate is just too geeky for me. Then again, I'm a minimalist.

Bart Noir

Now that is odd.

That N-Frame page starts out with the new L-Frame Model 69, then the new K-Frame Model 66, then starts showing actual N-Frame guns.

A strange decision, I would say.

Bart Noir

SansSouci

Tom_Servo,

I agree. years ago I wrote to S&W asking for a 5-shot .41 Rem Mag in an "L" Frame revolver. To my way of looking at trial guns, a 5-shot .41 Rem Mag in an easy-to-carry revolver would be hard to beat.

BTW, out of a 6" "N" Frame revolver, the .44 Rem Mag's recoil was unwieldy for me.

jglsprings

Now that is odd.

That N-Frame page starts out with the new L-Frame Model 69, then the new K-Frame Model 66, then starts showing actual N-Frame guns.

A strange decision, I would say.

Bart Noir

The same guy who decides on model numbers does their web site...