New Sling for my Garand, How Do I Soften it?

Roadrunner

I finally had to replace my leather sling on my Garand. Now I have this stiff, uncomfortable peice of leather to deal with. Is there anything I can use to soften it up?

C.R.Sam

If you are going to use the sling for position shooting, don't soften it. If it gets softer it will get stretchy. Stretchy sling is a minus when shooting for score.

Turners, Carters and other fine slings are made from expensive, hard, stiff harness leather for a reason. They work.

Sam

Roadrunner

I've got a Turner sling from Fulton Armory. I don't own a shooting jacket, so it's uncomfortable to use. Usually when I'm at the range I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt. I guess until I need a shooting jacket, I'll just try to remember to pack a long sleeve shirt. Thanks.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Hey, Sam, question: Neatsfoot oil (Whadda they do with the rest of the Neat?) or the Silicone stuff will make leather softer, yeah, but I don't think it makes it springy-stretchy, does it? It might stretch a bit, but doesn't it then "take a set"? Seems to me you could merely adjust the hooks one notch?

(I know that oiling a holster is a Bad Thing, 'cause it makes them "clingy" as well as losing shape.)

Art

Yanus

Art,
I've wondered that, myself. How do you skin a Neat? LOL!
Neatsfoot oil will also waterproof leather. It will prevent the
leather from drying and cracking.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
A bootmaker gave me his opinion that the "modern" silicone stuff is better for leather--with long-term use--than Neatsfoot oil. Allegedly the oil will break down the fibers over years of use.

Whaddaya do with the rest of a Nauga? Or a Matzoh?

:), Art

Guyon

This site on saddle soap also mentions that modern emulsions are preferable for softening leather. http://www.autopia-carcare.com/autopia/mytofsadsoap.html

I always use a little glove oil on leather--probably the same as Neatsfoot oil without all the barbaric connotations...

"Poor little Neat. Did he really deserve to die?"

I've been using the same ball glove since high school baseball. (uhm...that's 15 years...wow.) I still play softball in a league, and I oil my glove about once a year. It hasn't come apart yet. You might also try mink oil. I oil my leather work boots with it every so often to restore moisture to the leather and waterproof them.

Leather needs some moisture over time or it will become brittle and crack.

Tropical Z

I also use oil from the poor Neat,but recently obtained one of those surplus French holster sets from the 50's and 60's for my 1911's.Talk about dry!
For this i used canola oil,as i knew it would require a lot to moisturize the leather and i didn't have enough Neatsfoot oil handy.It works great,but i don't know of the long term consequences although a friend uses corn oil on his stuff and hasn't suffered any damage as a result.:cool:

Ledbetter

Polyunsaturated leather.

It's easy to use too much neatsfoot oil. Use a little and wait a day before using more.

Neatsfoot oil is a product made from Bone, Horns, and Hooves of bovines. Other products made from this source include:
adhesives
bandage strips
collagen cold cream
cellophane wrap and tape
crochet needles
dice
dog biscuits
emery boards and cloth
fertilizer
gelatin capsules
gelatin deserts
glycerine
ice cream, malts and shakes (that old tyme neatsfoot flavor)
laminated wood products
marshmallow
neatsfoot oil
photographic film
plywood and paneling
potted meats (Mmmmmmmmmm.)
shampoo and conditioner
wallpaper and wallpaper paste
syringes

Source

http://www2.state.ia.us/agriculture/valadlive.html

Now you know. Regards.

Long Path

Use that sling!

If the edges are hard and sharp, radius them with sand paper or a proper edge tool.

A tiny amount of oil ain't bad.

--L.P.

cookhj

i use the same style military leather sling for service rifle competition (i can't remember which brand though!) and i softened it up a bit by using the oil from the foot of the neet (that poor critter). then i took a 10lb weight and hung it from the bottom of the sling to stretch it out some. the sling does get to a point where it "sets," but you'll still get some strectching. to counter this, you will need to shoot your rifle in various positions to make sure it doesn't change you dope. you might have to tighten it a notch. but basically as they've said before, you want it to be slightly tough so that it will hold your position better.

CaesarI

I very, strongly recommend against using Neat's foot oil, or Mink oil. It's about like using WD-40 on a handgun, and leather professionals will yell at you just as loudly if you use them as gun professionals do when WD-40 is encountered.

What you don't believe me?

http://www.indygear.com/

It's a site devoted to Indianna Jones "gear" so to speak. Indy uses a lot of leather (the whip, the jacket, the shoes/boots) and various members of the above website have had the opportunity to talk with a Mr David Morgan, the top dog in the world of whip making. He strongly, and ONLY recommends the use of Pecards Leather Dressing:

http://www.pecard.com/

I've used the stuff on the Indiana Jones shoes/boots (most I ever paid for a pair of shoes), jacket and whip, and anything else I own that's leather (don't own anything suede). Keeps the rain off, and if you ever get any scratches, rubbing this stuff on'em makes'em disappear. Can't comment on rifle slings... but they do have a section for Equestrian products (saddles, etc.) which might be a slightly more appropriate blend.

The stuff works miracles. Wanna impress the ladies? Take a pair of their old leather shoes, and apply Pecards Leather Dressing. Make's their shoes look (almost) brand spanking new. I should really take some pictures.

Safe to use with your fingers too.

Don't work for'em just very impressed with'em.

-Morgan

Tom Matiska

Castor oil. Apply liberaly and give it a day or three to soak in. It will soften leather and allow for some stretching.

Tom

Roadrunner

Guys, thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Long Path, I think I'll use some sand paper to round-off the edges like you suggested. I haven't made up my mind on which product to apply to the leather. Never expected some many suggestions. Thanks again.