New Sig P938

dontcatchmany

Purchased a P938 about a week ago and after several days of "playing" with it because of other things I needed to do I got to go to the range today.

I am left handed and I have other semi handguns that are fully ambidextrous so I was venturing out into a mostly right handed world I have revolvers also so not a major problem. The 938 has an ambi safety which really seems to be my minimal need.

I have a process with a new weapon that attempts to put safety first. I start with one round in the mag and then two and so forth (in this case 6 rounds in the only mag I have)

At this point I was just firing into a berm for the first 38 rounds so accuracy was not what I was looking for....familiarity and safety were the first concerns.

First round was good so I released the mag (this was good even using my left hand...middle finger was good for me;)) and thanks to the Uplala I then put two rounds in the magazine.

Mag in, power shot the slide and jam. Oh Darned I said (not really, but I can not use that language here). Released the mag and was able to get the round from the chamber. I was concerned at this point. I had researched and heard some horror stories on the P938. Mine was built 11/28/2012 (AG version) so was supposed to be good to go.

Re-inserted the mag with the one round left in the mag and power stroke and fired and it was fine.

Went back to two rounds and no problem and then three and so forth.

Into the berm I put 38 rounds with no problem.

I chalked the second round up to me not fully inserting the magazine.?????

I was using 147 gr Remington FMJ.

Then put a target at 10 yds and went through the remaining 12 rounds of Remington (out of 50 rd box) with no problem......and all but a couple were probably within 6 inches of each other with most very close to center of target which was the point of aim.

Switched to Winchester Ranger 124 gr NATO and fired that all (50 rounds) with mostly full mags (I only had one 6 rounder)....again praise the Uplala.

I ended up with 6 rounds just outside of the 18"x 18" holographic target out of the remaining 62 rounds. Was not disappointed with the results for the first time out with this weapon.

Because of its size and the trigger I may have been pulling some when I was trying follow ups....again accuracy was not the issue at this point, but next time it will be.

My other Semis are DA/SA and the SA part has really light trigger pull.

The 938 is a tad stiffer...and it is SA only.

95 degree heat with a heat index of around 100 today here in eastern N.C.

So, this thing just might work, but I got many more rounds to go before I consider it reliable.....same I have done with other weapons.

The best part is that it works great in my pocket for being concealed which was the prime reason why I purchased it. I have had it in my left shorts pocket (no magazine) for the last two days and my wife has not noticed it.

Now gotta go and find three to four 7 round mags.

Again the Uplala is super. ...and the gun ain't bad either.....now what is next....mmmmm maybe something in .45 ACP...or 44... geez will this disease ever abate?:D

Mystro

The P938 is one of the easiest pocket size guns to fire. It has combat gun accuracy in a size that is very easy to EDC. Mine has become my main EDC regardless of clothing.

P938BGrangenet.jpg

Dressed up in custom grips that are thinner and easier to carry.
P938hand.jpg

dontcatchmany

I did not find the recoil to be exceptional...nothing out of the ordinary.

I had previously purchased a FNX 40 and folks were telling me that the .40 was "snappy". I did not notice it. But, then, I ain't a competition shooter....I get the job done. My biggest shooting problem came from needing more familiarity with the trigger as it is heavier than my other semis when in SA.

My one complaint with the 938 is that the take down and assembly is a pita. Especially getting the spring back in. But this is compared to other semis I own and it definitely is not a show stopper. And I do really like the fact that it fits in my pocket and does not show.....heck I have an insulin pump in the other pocket and it shows more than the 938.

Going back to the range today to refine the shooting and get serious;)

Oh, have any of you ever adjusted the sights on your 938.....and if so what is the technique.

Last edited:

Mystro

To adjust the rear sight. Take the slide off and put it in a vise. Use a brass punch and hammer. I would bet that it won't need adjusted. Shoot it a few times before you decide if the sights need to be moved.

Ibmikey

My 938 has G10 grips and extended magazine, not a big deal when concealing but helps make recoil feel like a .22 (almost). The 238 and 938 are two of my favorites for concealed carry.