New Sig p239

rob i

Hi,

I just purchased a brand new Sig P-239 in .40. It came highly recommended by the shop owner. I have not yet taken it to the range, but have taken it apart and cleaned it as instructed by Sig. So far I love everything about this pistol, although, being new to Sig I have some questions. When you are decocking the pistol, it seems like you need to push the decocker all the way down and it seems to decock only once the decocker starts traveling back upwards. Does this seem normal? The only experience I have with a decocker on any gun is with a Beretta 9000s and that worked completely differently. Once the gun was cleaned and put back together I loaded it with seven rounds of 40 cal and racked the slide, then decocked the pistol. Shortly thereafter I fully unloaded the pistol. When the magazine came out it looked like the top round had moved forward a bit. I pushed it back into the back of the mag, and thought I'd try loading one more time. This time there was a failure to feed. I think though it must have been the way the bullet was seated in the mag. Perhaps I hadn't pushed it all the way back, or maybe pushed the nose down a bit. Anyway, I was a bit surprised and tried loading the pistol about 12 more time without any problems. Does this failure to feed sound like a fluke due to the way either the bullet or the mag was seated, or does it sound indicitive of some other problem. I will get to the range on Sunday, but thought I'd ask you knowledgeable folks.

Thanks,
Rob

Tom2

Failure to feed?

I just checked my 9MM 239 and the decock lever goes down till it is about a 45 degree angle, meets some resistance, then decocks. How were you feeding when it failed to feed? Was the mag seated the last 1/8" where it snaps in to the mag release? It will stop and stay on mine when I push it in but then you have to push it and will hear the click. Also, did it fail when you released the slide stop, or did you pull back the slide and release? I suppose riding the slide forward or not letting it go crisply might let it jam. Did it ride over the round or just not push it out of the mag all the way? See if it happens again and note what is going on. My Sigs always feed except once at the range I did not get a mag seated all the way for some reason. Automatics I have seen will sometimes tend to move the next round a little bit forward in the mag. Not a problem unless it goes so far out of the mag that it causes a problem removing the mag from the gun due to getting too far forward.

Last edited:

rob i

thanks for the reply. as far as the decocker goes, yes, it does move till it meets resistance and then decocks, the docker returns to the top as the gun decocks and seems as if you forcefully held the decocker down the gun would not decock until you released. as far as the failure to feed, it could have been the mag, or the slide. I manually racked the slide. I am new to this pistol and everything is pretty tight. The cartridge rammed into the feed ramp. It did only happened once out of about 14 tries.

Thank you.

Greg Bell

Go shoot it. There is nothing wrong with it. If if jams while you are shooting it, then you have trouble. Too many things can go wrong when you are hand cycling to really worry one FTF.

The 239s are excellent pistols. The best compact/quality/value combination out there in my opinion.

rob i

Merry Christmas!

Just want to say that I managed to spend some time at the range this afternoon and put 50 rounds through my new 239. It was flawless and more accurate than I could have imagined. Great gun. The only problem is that I am a lefty and didn't have the foresight to take my wedding band off. I didn't notice till I got home, but I scratched up the finish on the "ribbing" on the front of the handle. Anyone have any recommendations on touching it up? Perhaps sig could later on down the line, once I accumulate more scratches? Anyway, not too big a deal. I am super psyched with it's performance!

Thanks
Rob

DD698

Sig P239 40 Cal

My P239 functions without flaw. I have fired thousands of rounds through it without a problem. You can also buy a 9mm Bar Sto barrel to reduce target practice cost. The nice part is the regular 40 mags will handle the 9mm rounds with no problem.

Laserlips

Sig P239

I purchased a new P239 years ago when they were first marketed and "so far" it has never had a malfunction of any type. (Knock on wood). It is 100% reliable, very accurate, and I have shot many different brands/types of ammo thru it. I am left handed, so reversing the mag. release catch was a plus.. I kept hearing good things about the Hogue grips, so I have a set of those I haven't put on yet, (Christmas gift), and I also have a LaserMax for it (also Christmas gift) I need to install shortly. IMO this is the perfect little firearm. I keep hearing "bigger is better" but I feel adequately armed with my P239 9mm stoked with Cor-Bon's. JMO :)

rob i

Thanks all, it seems like a perfect pistol. But does anyone have any idea how to touch up the scuff marks on the handle that my wedding ring caused? It must have scuffed it up during firing. I would have to say that this is my favorite pistol, although I only own three. I have a glock 19, a seecamp .32 and the 239. The glock is my least favorite, and I would sell it if I could, but it was bought in 1999 in Mass, during an injunction on the attorney generals gun restricitions. It can never be sold in Mass. Only guns from 1998 and before can be, so I am stuck with this beast. It's not so bad, but my money could be put to better use on other pistols.

Thanks,
Rob

Tom2

Birchwood Casey!

Too bad about the scratches. If you are sure that it is scratches and not a metal rubbed off of the ring, you can get a product from Birchwood Casey called Aluminum Black. It comes in the little blue bottles and puts a matte black onto any bare aluminum. You would want to clean the area with alcohol to be sure you have no film of oils or anything first. Just use a small applicator like a q tip or even smaller and just apply it to the spots. This product is not as permanent as the original anodizing but it seems to work pretty well, at least on small spots. Otherwise you could apply one of those black permanent markers, like a Sharpie. That will eventually rub off and does not match as well as the previous product. Is OK for real small marks. If they still make them, you might get one of those rubber wrap around thingees for the grips to protect the gun and give you a better grip. I forget who makes them but you see them in gunshops-might be Hogue. They have finger grooves on the front and are just like wrapping a section of rubber inner tube around the grips. Guess some people like them and on that 239 it might even enhance your grip pretty well. I wish the 239 grips were a little rougher like on my 229. That thing feels like sandpaper-definitely non slip!

rob i

Tom2, thank you, that's what I was looking for. I wondered if it was just the metal that rubbed off onto the gun, but I think that it is scratching. The ring is mostly platinum, which is a hard enough material that it could scratch the finish. I will probably use a sharpie for now, and perhaps the aluminum black later down the line. I imagine after a bunch of scratches accumulate, I could send back to sig for a refinish? Do they offer such a service? I imagine for a fee they do. From now on, I will take my ring off before firing. The hogue grips would definately cover up the scratch, but I think that I like the stock grips better. Jury is still out on that one.

Thanks again,
rob

Tom2

Refinishing

If it is some metal like brass that rubs off onto a finish, usually bore cleaner will remove it by wiping hard with a cloth or such. I have seen where Sig will refinish the slides but I don't know about the alum. frames-might be a more complicated process and alot more disassembly involved. Someone on the www.sigforum.com would maybe be able to answer questions about frame refinishing as those guys are Signuts and have done just about anything to their guns including exotic finishes. You will also see the finish wear on the top of the frame from firing pretty soon. But it is where it cannot be seen and can be minimised by good lubrication before shooting. Any kind of debris or those little flecks of brass that get chipped off the cases seem to get imbedded inside the slide rails and scratch the coating a bit. I clean inside the slide rails carefully now.

care-less

When you rack a round from the mag into your chamber, very often the next round in the mag will move forward a bit. Leave it that way! Pushing it back to the rear is what caused your first jam that you spoke of. As for your Glock; so you can't sell it in Mass; so what? Post it on the Classified boards here or on Glock talk, and sell it to a buyer in another State! Just get a signed ffl along with the moneyorder from the buyer, and ship the pistol to his ffl.

Boxers

Did the guy at the gun shoppe tell you that if you buy a .357 barrel for the P239 you can also shoot the .357 round?

You can, I have a P239 in .357 and .40

welcome to SIG.

Also for a WEALTH of information on Sig Sauer you may also want to try this link:

http://www.sigforum.com/

I know I have many SIGS
They are a disease once you usually have one and like it you WILL have many more!

mmike87

I think your 239 is fine. I shot 150 through my new Christmas SIG yesterday. It's a fine weapon and performed flawlessly.

My decocker works the way you describe, as it does on all three of my SIG's.

rob i

care-less: Thank you. I am glad to see that it was a stupid operator error and not my pistol that caused the ftf. I kinda assumed that it was since there wasn't even a hesitation from the gun at the range. Still not completely sure that I want to sell the glock, but thanks for the info.

Boxers: Yes, I do know about the sig .357 options. It was one of the reasons I chose the .40 over the 9mm.

mmike87: Thanks for the decocker info!

One more question. the .40 holds 7 rounds in the mag. Can you have one in the chamber while having a full mag loaded (7 plus 1)? I thought that I read somewhere that you can't do that with the sig in .40. Please let me know if this is incorrect.

Thanks again,
Rob