New SIG 239

Tim Whittaker

Today I went to the range to test fire my Glock 27 that had just came back from Glock Inc., for the second time, for feeding issues and the problem reared its' ugly head again. After talking with the owner of the range, who is a Glock armorer, he tried the gun and got the same results. He offered to work with Glock to get it right, I wanted out of this pistol, I don't trust it at all, he gave me a real fair price on the trade and I bought a SIG 239 with nite sights. I gave it a quick wipe down and a little oil and ran through 200 rounds (100 FMJ, 100 JHP) without a hitch. Couldn't be happier with the SIG.

fastbolt

Congrats on the P239.

If I were going to buy a SIGARMS, that would be the model and caliber I'd buy. I've always considered the P239 chambered in 9mm to be one of the two best compact, lightweight, metal-framed, single column magazine 9mm compact pistols ever produced ... with the S&W 3913(series) being the other one.

I don't own a P239, mind you, but I might someday, especially if the price is right at an armorer's class sometime.;) The ones I've handled and fired in 9mm and .40 S&W have all exhibited fine function and reasonable accuracy, although the placement of the slide stop lever has presented a training issue I had to help resolve for one of our folks (premature slide stop lever engagement related to user thumb positioning).

Sorry to hear about your less-than-satisfying experience with the G27. The only consolation that might be offered is that you're not the only person to express some puzzling and frustrating feeding & functioning issues with the subcompact G27. If I had to choose (again) between buying a G26 or G27 ... it would (again) be the G26. I chose the G26 after careful consideration of my own anticipated needs and preferences, and my personal (and observed) experiences with the various Glock models. I only picked up the G27 because I came across a deal that would likely not come my way ever again.

My G26 has offered normal and reliable feeding & functioning throughout the more than 5,000 rounds of various factory ammunition I've fired in it, including 115gr FMJ/JHP, 115gr JHP +P+, 124gr +P, 147gr JHP & 127gr JHP ... and that's just what I can remember off the top of my head. I replaced a stock recoil guide rod/spring assembly after approx 2,500 rounds, because the lip of a guide tube was becoming deformed, but it hadn't affected functioning when I noticed it and replaced it.

My personal G27 has probably experienced a dozen or less feeding & functioning issues in approx the same number of rounds ... which I suspect were attributed to a mixture of magazine, ammunition & shooter related influences, at one time or another. I remember a couple being caused by out-of-spec ammunition (overly long case length and low-powered load, in separate contract LE loads offered by two different manufacturers ;) ), and the rest were a mix of occurrences seemingly related to a single magazine, and then some last-round 'nose-dive' occurrences were involved with a couple of factory 11-round (w/factory +2 bases) G27 magazines ... and I suspect a couple of occurrences were caused by my not maintaining a locked wrist/firm grip under some isolated training/shooting conditions. It can happen ... :eek:

Congrats again on the P239.

AK103K

Better get your check book warmed up. It wont be long before that 239 gets lonesome for family :D

I went through something similar with Glock about 15 years ago. I had a 17 with a repetitive failure to work problem, the gun refused to shoot when the trigger was pulled, even after factory service. That pretty much soured me on Glock.

jhrosier

+1 to AK103Ks comment

I bought a P239 for carry any it was quickly joined by a P229 for bedside and a P226 Stainless for range use.
I don't know how to explain it :confused:
1911s and Glocks left the gun vault and Sigs moved in.:D