New Sig 1911

colbad

Was in the LGS yesterday looking for .22 ammo. Came across a Sig 1911 Target Master Elite in .40 cal. It was a great feeling gun that begged to come home with me. Its now sitting on my work bench in pieces soaking up some frog lube.

Although I am not new to Sig by any means, I am new to the 1911 line. I am hopping that there are not a bunch of threads out there talking about what junk it is!

I know a lot of folks are die hard 1911 .45 guys, but I get free .40 ammo from work. Only plan on using it to plink around with, absolutely no ccw on that one....not willing to retrain with a manual safety.

Anyone have good or bad on Sig 1911?

geetarman

I had a TacPac in .45. It was/is good enough to give to my daughter.

All steel, nice fit and finish, good trigger and it NEVER failed to work.
What is not to like. My daughter shoots it quite a bit and it has never failed her either. She and her husband both like Sigs so I know it went to a good home. I needed room here at the house for two more Sigs. . .

Jay24bal

Don't you know it is mandatory to post a pic of the new gun when you tell us all about it?!?!?!?!?

Congrats on the new addition, we all know the feeling of a gun just "needing to come home with us."

Sevens

I have very limited experience with a Sig 1911. The experience was not good. Sorry to bring some bad juju in to a happy moment, but it's always occurred to me that keeping an eye out for possible negatives can put you in a better position to look for them or deal with them on the off chance that you find similar issues.

Here we go.

Got a Sig 1911 Two Tone Match Elite, $ 1,056 plus shipping.
Sorry that I have no hosting space for images, it was this same gun that can be found here, and pictures are here also:
https://ghostfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1609
Pistol came NIB from a very large, successful Gunbroker dealer.

On the bad side:
The pistol had vertical marks (damage?) near the muzzle, UNDER the finish. Yes, pictures would help, sorry. Basically, these were manufacturing flaws somewhere in the build process. There was also a rubbing of that matte finish along the top of the slide that almost wanted to look like holster wear... but this was a NIB pistol. Suffice to say, neither of these (obvious!) marks affected function in any way, but was a bitter pill on a new pistol. This is part of the risk of ordering a gun rather than picking one up in a gun store.

The other genuine issue was that the very nice, large adjustable rear sight simply came loose in it's dovetail... this happened after 150 or so rounds of shooting. The sight wouldn't come all the way out, it just rattled left/right in the dovetail. This was fixed by a friend and it stood up to another three boxes of hardball before I sold the pistol.

Those were the two problems. One third bit that annoyed me with the pistol but I can't call a genuine "issue" was that it had an extremely short leade and gave me a few fits with my handloads before I got a handle on it. This is not the first time I've come across a pistol that throws me such a curve, and I never did run factory ammo through it, and I was certainly able to figure it out, so again, it's not something I could blame on Sig... but it was still annoying. When you've built many thousands of the exact same handload using the same slug and you've run it with irrational success across (easily) more than a dozen different .45's and then you meet a new one that says "NO!", well, it's annoying. :p The same exact rounds have done single hole groups out of a Brown and two Baers, a Ruger, a S&W E-Series, and a number of other .45cal pistols. Shame on me for building ammo that two Baer's and a Brown loved... that wasn't up to the diet the Sig wanted.

On the good side, I found the pistol to be extremely good looking, it was a very accurate handgun and I think they did a fine job with the front strap checkering and I wish more of my guns had the same checkering. The trigger was decent, but at the price point, I've seen, used and had better. I liked the sights... more if it hadn't gotten loose. The pistol locked up very nicely and reminded me of a Baer in that way. (if you have handled a new Baer, you'll know what I'm trying to describe) The slide to frame fit and the lines that many judge a 1911 on were decent, in my opinion.

I lost a couple hundred on it and sold it to a very active dealer at my favorite gun show. We went over it's issues together before he took the pistol and my information.

Very sour taste left behind. And in some light poking around later, I found that other folks have gotten similar marks under the finish on NIB Sig pistols and nobody seems to have any luck with Sig when they contact them to correct it. I never did contact Sig.

filthy phil

My tacpac nitron is the sweetest shootin pistol I got. Accurate as hell.
8pkp.jpg

I didnt really clean it at all, just a little lube, for the first 500rd or so. It kept on goin. Just a few mag related jams.
Shot a lot of lead handloads.
It aint glock reliable but at the range its a fkn blast

NJgunowner

My sig 1911 has never failed, shoots great. The early sig 1911's had some issues, they seem to have worked them out.

Method

I've had a SIG 1911 TACPAC (w/out rail) for a couple years now and absolutely love shooting it. It has performed extremely well with excellent accuracy. It offered me the quality I wanted at a price point lower than the Kimber models I was looking at.

Hiker 1

I have a full-size SIG Scorpion 1911. That is my favorite handgun to shoot, hands-down and I have a lot of handguns! I've only had it for about 1.5 years, but it is my favorite pistol.

The trigger breaks so smoothly, it's like crushing a piece of ice. I had 2 FRB's when I first took it out, but it's been 100% since then.

And it looks pretty dang cool!