new shotgun

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Most waterfowlers use 12 gauges, with a smattering of 10s.

Were I waterfowling with a 20 semi, it would probably be a Beretta.

BigJimP

Depends on your budget ...and most importantly what "fits you" -- so it hits where you look...( not all shotgun dimensions are the same ...in drop at comb and heel ...or length of pull ).

If you want a gas gun ...Beretta has a few ...

If you want an Inertia gun ..Benelli has a few...

20ga semi auto I like personally / that has a lot of adjustabilty --- so it can be "fit" ...it has shims where stock meets receiver...and drop in changeable comb inserts and recoil pads that snap in and out ...is the Benelli supersport in a 20ga. It has a shiny barrel and a bright receiver...but you can cover it with tape ...to break it down / but Benelli has typical waterfowl guns available in 20ga as well....but most of us would not use a 20ga for waterfowl ...to me, that's a 12ga game with steel or non-toxic shot.

Last edited:

PetahW

You might want to do a review, and then compare 20ga waterfowl loads with what's available in 12ga, before you buy a 20.

Anthony66

first time reply, but I've been shotgunning for years. The Beretta 3901 would fit the bill. $600 at most of your local big box sporting stores.

Sigowner

Do you sit on decoys on jump ponds? If they're not close in I would opt for a 12ga....doesn't make a difference which of the old stand-by manufacturers you opt for. Personally, I like Remington and either pump or semi-auto are great. I always used a modified choke but smaller bore and distance seem to demand a full bore for me.

zippy13

As the others have opined, you're better off with a 12-ga. Since the advent of the non-toxic shot requirement for waterfowl, the popularity of 20-ga guns has waned significantly. The opposite has happened, the 10-ga is enjoying a resurgence.

Hansam

I was going to suggest a 10 gauge but figured the OP may get turned off of shotguns if he actually shot one...

Personally I can still bring down the ducks (I'm not a goose hunter) with a 12 and steel shot so I'm going to keep with a 12... 10 might actually be a bit too much gun for what I want to do with it.

oneounceload

There are a lot of choices out there - what is your budget? (And yes, go with the 12 for waterfowl)

Browning, Beretta, Benelli, are arguably, the top three in semi auto guns

WV_gunner

Another option, if you can find one is a Saiga.
Another option is a Stoeger. Some say the quality is horrible, but my over and under is flawless.

As for the 10 gauge comment, I doubt the op wants one if he's looking for a 20 gauge. And in my opinion, opposite of what everyone says almost, the 10 gauge doesn't kick all that bad. Yes, it's much harder than a 12 gauge but it's still very bearable. I shoot 8-10 yards every now and then without getting too sore.

I don't like recommending guns I haven't dealt with but since you are looking for a 20 gauge I'm guessing you want a light gun with low recoil? What about the Winchester autos with the fiberglass barrels? I've never shot or even handled one, but I think this is something you should look into.

jmr40

I'd start and end my search with either Beretta or Benelli. Just have to decide if you want gas operated or inertia.

I'd also move up to a 12, it can always be downloaded.

Drummer101

first time reply, but I've been shotgunning for years. The Beretta 3901 would fit the bill. $600 at most of your local big box sporting stores.

I am selling one of those (plug done)

Why the 20 gauge in the first place??

Orphanedcowboy

Don't let the bore size fool you, with the right load and hoke combination you can anything with a 20 you can do with a 12 when it comes to ducks. If it was me I would buy the synthetic SX3 20, LOP adjustable, Drop and Cast adjustable, speed load, overbore, and has Dura Touch to protect the finish.

Browning Silver 20:

CIMG0944.JPG

CIMG0947.JPG