New Shooters - trouble loading the magazine?

Lee6113

Hello, I've taken a few people shooting since I've gotten my guns, and even before that my friends and I would go rent at the range for a fun evening sometimes, and it seems that a lot of people have trouble loading magazines without assistance (either from me or from a speed loader).

It doesn't seem hard to me so I don't really get it.. Have I just been around them enough that it doesn't bother me?

My wife is excited about shooting our new revolver (partly because of the easy reloading I'll assume).

Is there anything I can do to help people get more proficient loading pistol magazines?

Thanks,

Lee

TfflHndn

In my experience, a lot of new shooters just need some tips on holding the mag and the round being loaded. The thumb on the hand holding the mag should assist by pushing the butt of the last round down a bit, while the the next round pushes down the nose. Too many try to just push the top loaded round down with the next round, and it's like stacking BBs. Helps to set the base of the mag down on the bench so it doesn't move around.

SpareMag

Uplula loader solves all your problems.

It uses your entire hand to load a round, not just your thumb.

Get one and thank me later.

TunnelRat

Does it really matter if they use speed loaders? The end goal of bringing people shooting is for those people to have fun. If they want to use speed loaders let them.

Lee6113

No it doesn't matter if they use speed loaders, especially at the range, but I would like my family to be proficient at least (brothers, sisters, especially my wife, etc). If there's anything I can do from my part to help them. Maybe just demonstrating more...

TfflHndn explained probably better then I ever have before. Thanks!

AxlMyk

My Glock 26 Gen4 came with a loader. It really makes it easy to load the mags.
If it ever gives up on me, I'll look at the UpLULA.

tallball

My daughter doesn't have any trouble at all. When she gets tired of loading them, she just says, "Grandpa, my finger is sore" and gives him the puppy dog look.

Works every time. :)

Last edited:

JDBerg

UpLula1-456x456.jpg

As mentioned earlier, the Maglula UpLula is the way to go

hartcreek

I have no problems loading magazines but I am from the era that worked with their hands. The problem is that to many people do not work at much of anything so they have become soft......

UncleEd

I am male I worked in construction in the family business as soon as I could swing a hammer. Even at six one of my jobs was nailing down the sub floor in the houses that the family built. Others would tack down the shething and nail around wher the walls would be. At six I would find the joist drive in the first nail then go past a few shething joint and chock a line with a chock box and then nail the shething down. This was back when galvanized nails were used to get a better bite in the joist.

Later I was an auto mechanic by trade and I could not afford to wait for engines and especially exhaust manifolds to cool to get to work as time is money working on flat rate.

I still do most work such as axe and shovel work bare handed.

Last edited:

JDBerg

I have no problems loading magazines but I am from the era that worked with their hands. The problem is that to many people do not work at much of anything so they have become soft......

We all know that some mags with lighter springs are easier on the fingers when you are loading them, than other mags with heavier springs. Glock magazines are easier than some of the CZ mags, my 75B mags can pinch my fingers. I've got big mitts with strong fingers, but a lot of people do not!

JohnKSa

Administrator
I like to spend as much of my time at the range shooting as is possible so I don't like to waste time loading mags. I will load up mags at home if possible but if I need to load/reload at the range I use an UPLULA to minimize the time it takes.

A side benefit is that my hands don't get tired loading magazines so I tend to shoot better and/or can shoot longer without having my performance tail off.

For someone who has hand-strength issues or problems like arthritis, an UPLULA would be a lifesaver. For me it's only a convenience--but I like conveniences.

Lee6113

Loading mags up isn't a big deal for me. I can fill them up no problem. It seems new shooters tend to have the issues. Maybe I should just get one so when I take people out it's easier for them.

Llama Bob

I think it's mostly just a lack of technique. Once you figure out you have to maintain control of both the mag and the round, push down, and slide front to back I really can't see there being many problems for anyone with normal adult strength.

JohnMoses

The upLula is not only much faster than loading by hand, but also does not stress the magazine lips like loading by hand does. Plus it loads double stack,single stack, any make or model. I don't leave home without one.

James K

Member In Memoriam
For Lugers and .22 magazines with buttons there are loaders that slip over the magazine and push down on the button, also pushing down the follower. For the Luger, those who want historical accuracy can obtain a tool that includes a screwdriver and a magazine loader; the originals are costly, but a workable repro (that will also fit into the pocket in the original holster) can be found at modest cost.

Jim

weblance

I stopped loading mags by hand once I got an UpLula. I bought the small one next. Its great for .380 and some 22 mags. I bought my wife a pink one. Why would anyone struggle with loading mags when the UpLula works like a charm...?