New shoes for the P238

bald1

I really didn't like the look of the stock plastic fluted panels on my basic Nitron model P238 so I looked to see if anyone who had upgraded their grips would be willing to sell their factory G10, Blackwood, or Rosewood grips. No joy :(

So I looked around and found these Brazilian Cherry stocks that were said to be slightly thicker than stock. They feel great in the hand and to my eye look much better than the plastic.

P238.jpg

The blue magazines are Colt Mustang made by Metaform. I re-profiled the lips with a Dremel tool to match the Sig factory magazine. They work perfectly :)

I'm quite pleased with this tiny piece made in May '10. I have ~300 rounds through it and only had issues with what I deem as defective (slightly oversized brass vis-a-vis SAMMI specs) Herters FMJ fodder. It is definitely a KEEPER :D

DW CBOB + RZ45, Colt MKIV, CD EFS, P45C/T, BHP MKIII, FM M90, PT99AF, M681-1, 689, P238, MK678II

jreXD9

wow, very pleasing to the eyes. IMO, still not as sharp as the rosewood grips, but very nice still. good job. watch those grip screws. mine had a tendency to want to back out.

bald1

is there any texture for grip?

The grips are finished with an oil based polyurethane finish which still allows the texture of the grain to be easily felt giving a secure purchase.

bald1

I think wood looks better than the black plastic too.

Hey Ryan! I wanted to experiment with a bit thicker grip without a big investment.

These add 0.07" per side for 9/64" total handle thickness increase over stock.
This set is simply countersunk deeper to make use of the factory screws. And the grip panel thickness matches the slide release and safety protrusions.

PROS:
+ hand comfort.... nicer than the flat thin stock panels
+ warmth of wood over the stock plastic material

CONS:
- deep countersunk screw holes leaving exposed edges as factory screws seat so deeply. New longer screws with countersunk holes that allowed a screwhead fit flush with the wood surface would have been preferable but obviously more costly.

!BwFfEFgBWk~$%28KGrHqMOKn!EvyFr%29j6dBMH%28JBQ7%28w~~_35.JPG

Last edited:

Sarge43

Sunk heads on a pistol this size/caliber shouldn't be any big deal. I've had a few people that wanted the thicker too and haven't heard any negatives at all. I guess I should check on longer thread availability though. That would be perfect.
They look good, I know you'll enjoy them!
Sarge

Aristides

Sig P238 Custom Grip Screws

I bought some real nice Sambar Stag custom grips for my P238. Real Nice! But these are a bit thicker than standard grips and I, too, was having trouble with one of the screws backing out...just wasn't long enough to get a good thread-hold. After lots of fishing around and some extra help from Sig customer service, I learned that there are not any "longer" P238 screws, BUT...standard 1911 screws are the same thread type as the P238, and just a little bit longer -- exactly what I needed for my custom Stag grips. For some reason, I guess just a little variability in the custom grip thickness, one of the screws was actually slightly TOO long, and caused the magazine to stick. So a local gunsmith filed it down for me, and now my grips are holding well. Here's the information for ordering the 1911 grips screws from Brownells:

Thread Pattern 0.150-50
Brownell's Part Number 080569004

These have "slot" screw heads, not allen-wrench type. I actually prefer the traditional slot screw heads, because they are more convenient to tighten/loosen -- can use a regular screwdriver, don't have to always know where that blasted allen-wrench is.

Sarge43

Yeah, thanks for sharing that Spartacus! I was wondering how close they were to each other, but hadn't tried it yet. That's a great tidbit right there!
Sarge