New scope questions

SD_Chop

Im gonna get a new scope for my ruger m77 this year. Right now i got a simmons deerfield 4x12x40 on it. My main questoin is has anyone had experience with the nikon buckmaster with the BDC reticle? They claim that if you sight in at 100yrds the other markers are sighted in aswell up to 500yrds? How accurate does that sound to you? I know leaupold is the scope the go with, but wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the buckmasters more so the BDC reticle. I use a 7mm rem mag so was looking at the 4.5x14x40 not to limit the cartridge to a 3x9. Just any other input on your scope will also help....looking to spend under 400

taylorce1

I know leaupold is the scope the go with, but wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the buckmasters more so the BDC reticle. I use a 7mm rem mag so was looking at the 4.5x14x40 not to limit the cartridge to a 3x9.
Actually the scope to go with is the one you can afford at the time. You can always upgrade later if the money becomes available to you. I don't think you would be limiting the cartridge at all with a 3-9 scope at all, if it will be used the majority of the time for hunting.

As far as the BDC reticle being correct for your cartridge, that probably isn't going to happen that easy. Ammunition varies too much to have a generic BDC reticle work on the tick marks out to 500 that works with all calibers. They might be close but I seriously doubt they will be dead on.