New Savage

David13

I got out to Burro Canyon today, private range and tried my new Savage 11 TH .308 with the Nikon ProStaff BDC.
The scope is a 3x9. The first shot at 50 yards was 1/2 inch off bullseye.
So, out of the box, quite accurate.
I did find that at 100 yards I am not seeing the target good at all. To get any accuracy out there and beyond I do believe I need a higher power scope.
I was looking at the 4.5 14. Nikon. I see one for $287. Not a bad price.
My goal is accuracy to about 250 or 300 yards.
Is that scope what I need? Or should I be looking at something higher?
dc

taylorce1

What is your problem seeing the target at 100 yards? Is it a scope problem or an eye problem? What kind of accuracy are you expecting at 100 yards?

I understand the scope isn't the best Nikon produces but the Prostaff is usually a pretty decent scope. You should be able to make pretty precise shots to 300 yards with that scope set on 3X. On 9X you should be able to go past 300 yards pretty easily.

PawPaw

Did you focus the scope? The Nikon has a focus ring on the eyepiece. I have that scope on my .30-06 and it is very clear, and quite usable out to 300 yards, which is the limit of my range. I'm sure that it would be very usable out past that, but I've never had the opportunity to try.

overthere

I have the Savage 11 TH in 223 with the Nikon BDC scope and it works great at 100 yards. As Paw suggested, use the eye focus ring if it is not clear at 100.

I have not had any luck with that particular scope at 300, not because of the clarity but due to the lack of parallax adjustment.