New Savage Model 12 Long Range Varmint

m&p45acp10+1

Well a new rifle Followed me home yesterday. A Savage model 12 Long Range Varmint chambered in .223 Rem. The manager threw in a base, a set of rings, and 100 rounds of PMC 55 grain FMJBT. Out the Door price was a bit under $780. I topped it off with my BSA 6-24x42 Mildot varmint, and headed to the range to fire form the brass for some hand loads. (They were nice enough to clean and oil the rifle for me when I bought it.)
Results from the range were nothing short of holy crap :eek:. I did a quick 25 yard sight in. Then dropped one inch low at 25 yards. I then shot a 5 shot group to confirm. There was a single tiny hole:cool:. I then proceded to move to 100 yards. Shots were in the mminute of bullet hole relm (with cheap crappy ammo none the less:eek:)
I was beyond impressed. I took the rifle home, cleaned it, and oiled it. Then started working up some loads to test it some more. 55 grain V Max with a charge of 25.0 grains of H-335 and a CCI 400 primer delivered supreme accuracy. Not to mention I had a bit of fun with a case of 16 oz bottled water. There is nothing like watching the spash of water, and disappearing bottle. After shooting the third one there was a crowd watching. Some jaws were on the ground when guys found out a .223 could do that.
All in all I have another keeper. Now to the bench to work up some loads with 68 grain BTHP match bullets that Santa dropped on my bench while I was at the range.
I will follow up with some pictures of the rifle, and some targets in the next day or two.
Happy shooting, and God Bless to all.
Nate

bigautomatic

Congratulations. I have several variants of the model 12, and the initial accuracy of yours doesn't surprise me. I have several other brands of rifles as well, but over the last five or six years they have worked their way toward the back of my safes and the Savages seem to keep finding their way closer to the front. (Don't worry, they all get to come out for some tlc once a month or so.)

m&p45acp10+1

Well I can honestly say that my CZ would be getting jellous. It is not being neglected as my girfriend has claimed it as her own. She does like the Savage, it is just that the .221 Fireball seems to suit her just fine. Also it is smaller and lighter than the Savage. The plus is that both do well with 55 grain bullets so that makes it easier to load for both.

JohnO

If your talking about the Long Range "Precision" Varminter, you got yourself an incredible deal at that price. I have shot one. It's a great shooting rifle.

m&p45acp10+1

Johno it is unfortunately not the Long Range Perciscion Varmint. The percision model is a single shot model 10. The one I bought is the model 12 action which has a 5 round internal box magazine. it has the Acutrigger, where as the persicision model has the Percision Acutrigger which is a good bit lighter than the standard acu trigger, aslo the percision model the barrel is slightly thicker in diameter, and about 4 pounds heavier. Both have the PAD. The persicion model also cost about $300 more give or take a bit depending on where you buy it.
My leaning was to the more expensive model. The shop manager made since when he asked me if I go any where with it how far I would have to carry it. When I go to visit family in Kansas we go shooting prarie dogs. Most times we will be walking fields to scout out good spots and the extra weight would probably lead to the heavier one being left in the truck.
I am more than happy with my purchase. Now I am gonna shoot this thing till the barrel burns out, or I die old and broke.:p Now to the loading bench to get ready for the range today.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I'm glad you like it. Can't say as I'm surprised. I haven't seen a Savage made for a good while that doesn't shoot "lights out".

I think they shoot MOA during an earthquake!:D

JohnO

The LRPV is off the model 12 line and can also be had with a removable box mag. It IS a big/heavy rifle. The trigger goes down to 6oz. A bit light for my tastes.

However, any of the model 12 line would be a great shooter. Savage is pretty tough to beat when it comes to "out of box" accuracy. Speaking off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure the varmint line triggers still go down to 1.5 lbs. Nothing to sneeze at for a factory adjustable trigger. I'm sure you'll get 1/2" moa out of that thing.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy!

m&p45acp10+1

Johno you are right about the half minute of angle. It shoots half MOA with cheap PMC Bronze ammo :eek:. With my testing yesterday with some hand loads 25.0 grains of h-335 with 55 grain FMJBT on top of a CCI 400 gave very impressive results. Loaded with VMax I hit 20 16 oz water bottles in a very short time at 100 yards. It is dead on accurate, and I only have 100 rounds through it. I gave it a good cleaning and loaded up some more loads to try today. Now to kill the 45 minutes before the range opens.:cool:

m&p45acp10+1

Ok back from the range. I got a couple of pics and here is the better one.
12121639421-1.jpg

4runnerman

Congrats guy. I e-mailed you some loads that i use in mine.Very accurate loads in that gun. It is amazing how accurate they are ain't it?. I was truley impressed with it. 100 yards is a waste of time with it yo need to get out to 500 to 1000 now. My next gun will be a Savage as well again.

By the way..How do you attach a picture in here?.

Last edited:

m&p45acp10+1

Well I agree one 100 yards being short range for this rifle. The only problem is the range I am a member of only goes to 100 yards. The nearest place that has a longer distance is over 40 miles from here so it is not practical for me to go there at this time. Whenver they open a long range shooting area near here I will go there.

The savage model 12 is a outstanding rifle I have 5 204, 223, 25-06 and a 22-250 plus a .308 in the f/tr they will shoot some nice groups

Hope your BSA hold upper better then any of mine have

m&p45acp10+1

So far the BSA has held up well. It is on its second rifle. It holds zero, and works well. I had it on my CZ 527 American .221 Rem Fireball. so far on both rifles it has held zero. When it does not work anylonger I will upgrade to something nicer.

4runnerman

Ya we have a 300 about 25 miles from here.other than that i have to drive 75 miles to get to the 600 yard range or 55 miles to a pay 800 yard range. So i spend most of my time at 300 yard one.