New Savage Edge bolt action

dabigguns357

I had to go in to work today and i was caught by our sporting goods manager.He wanted to show me 2 new rifles that just came in.

1)Savage Edge .308 $267.00 no scope
2)H&R break open 243 $277.00 with scope.

Now i already have a H&R break open 223 for my son and me to play with but i'm wondering if anyone has seen or has one of these Savage .308 bolt action guns.I really liked it because it was so light and comfortable to my shouder.

Any imput will be welcome

hooligan1

I checked one out, thought it was pretty cool:cool: If it shoots like my 110, then that's a deal dude!!:DI'm sure that it does. Savage probably wouldn't turn it out if it wasn't good. ;)

Teirst

there is a review on gunblast.

Seems like most people are just to afraid it will turn out like the Rem 770. Everything i have heard about it have been fantastic. Sub-Moa, very low price, decent bolt etc.

Only negative i have heard about it compared to the rest of the savage line is that the barrel is not as easily changeable.

VirtualGreg

I've been interested in getting my hands on one as I'd like a .308 and Savage seem to have a solid reputation... the only thing that put me off the Edge vs the 110 range was the lack of AccuTrigger... but it seems like a great deal.

hooligan1

VirtualGreg,,Don't let the trigger on an edge or 110 stop you from purchasing one. The accutrigger is a nice trigger(although there's many that remove the center out of it,) I tried one of the little contraptions at the Bass-Pro. 110 triggers can be adjusted:) I'm sure if you didn't like it you could also put a custom trigger, Basically the other qualities of these Savage rifles will more than make up for it!:D

Controlledpair

Man, just when I thought I had it figured out... Savage 110 in .270. most likely the package deal. Been looking for a new deer rifle, it's been a while since I've owned any larger caliber (well, compared to my .22 :)). Anyone else have any good/bad /ugly about the edge? If it's a comparable in accuracy to the 110 I hear so much about, I will definitely sacrifice the accutrigger for the price.

Teirst

Gun blast did a review on the edge in .243

http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-Edge243.htm

This is what he says about the accuracy of the edge

For accuracy testing of the Savage Edge, I kept it pretty simple. Knowing that this rifle will be marketed primarily to hunters, I used off the shelf hunting ammunition from Remington and Federal. I mounted a Leupold 3.5 to 10 power VXL scope in Leupold Rifleman rings and set up first at twenty-five yards to get everything hitting on paper. As expected, the rifle shot into one tight hole at that range, so I moved out to fifty, then to one hundred yards for accuracy testing. I fired from the bench using a Target Shooting, Inc. Model 1000 rifle rest, but have to admit that I was not surprised by this rifle’s accuracy. As I have come to expect from a Savage rifle, this thing shoots like a Savage. To those of you familiar with Savage rifles, you will know what I mean. For those who are new to Savage bolt guns, it means that this rifle is very accurate; a lot more accurate than a hunting rifle has to be. Several groups were fired that measured under one-half inch, but the five-eighths inch group shown was typical for the day. No groups measured in excess of the magical one-inch mark. I remember years ago when a typical hunting rifle took a lot of tuning and load development to shoot consistently under an inch at one hundred yards. Now, many rifles will do that well or better, if you are willing to spend the money for a quality rifle. This Savage Edge, with standard hunting ammo produces very good accuracy, with no special tuning nor working up tailored handloads. Right out of the box, it shoots like a Savage.

To hold up to the new TFL rules about quoting from articles it basically says that it shoots like a savage, with great groups possible straight out of the box with off the shelf ammunition.

This is NOT savages 770.

Willie D

As I understand it, the Edge costs a hair less than a Stevens 200 but is not as upgradeable. For the price the Marlin XL7/XS7 gives you more gun.

Until Gunblast gives something a bad review I'm going to file them in the same category as infomercials.

mpd61

OK sooo.....

Can you swap out the barrels like a standard Savage action, or is it somewhat more involved?
:confused:

Teirst

While Gunblast may not give the most rigid reviews the accuracy of the edge was the biggest question. There are several other informal reviews that you could find via google that will show similar results (all sub moa).

Price wise

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=58452

Savage edge XP (scoped package) for $269

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=53090

Stevens 200 package (scoped) 329

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/57401

Marlin Xl7 scoped 371

(I had to pull the Xl7 from buds because wholesale did not have the package)

The stevens is about 25% more expensive then the edge, the Marlin is around 40% more expensive.

Now there is a MUCH larger aftermarket for both the Stevens and the Marlin. Barrel changes are also easier on both the stevens and the marlin. If you are looking for a rifle to tinker with, change stocks, etc the marlin or the stevens might be a better rifle for you. If you are looking for out of the box accuracy, don't mind the stock it comes with, and want bottom dollar but not bottom barrell rifle the edge might be the way to go.

The biggest complaints I have seen about the edge is that the butt of the stock is very thin. I have seen this "fixed" by filling it with various spray in products.

Here are a couple more reviews for you as well

Guns&ammo
http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/savage-edge

Big game hunt
http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/savage-edge-rifle-review

UniversalFrost

while the gun may be dirt cheap, yet accurate I have an issue with the way the rifle looks.

I personally think the edge looks fugly.

Will I buy one? NO.

If I was in the market for a cheap, yet very accurate hunting rifle I would opt for the Stevens or a Weatherby Vanguard (or howa 1500 which is the same gun).