New Savage 93R17 BV

Rob96

On New Years Day I picked up a new Savage 93R17 BV in 17hmr from Cabela's. It has the blued heavy barrel with grey laminate stock. Overall fit and finish of the gun is superb. The gun came with a Cabela's Pine Righe 17 tactical scope. Because of the extreme wind and windchills yesterday I only got to put 15 rounds through the gun at 50yds. To get it sighted I did 2 three shot groups and a 4 round group. I then fired a five round group. The last group was dead center, one ragged hole. Can't wait to get this puppy at 100yds.

bigautomatic

Nice. I have the same rifle. I found out quickly that there is a big difference between 50 yards and 100 yards if the wind is blowing, even at 5mph. Reading the wind is a good skill to have and this was a good caliber for me to sharpen those skills on. Not sure what power your scope is, but be prepared for a little walking if you don't have a spotting scope. Those itty bitty holes are tough to see at 100. Leave the black targets in the truck and break out the orange ones.

Rob96

Yeah I am prepared for the walking. I only wish the wind was blowing at 5mph. We had sustained winds yesterday of 30mph with gusts approaching 50mph. Brrrrrrrr! Windchill was like -8. Hands were numb by the 15th round.

The scope I am using is a 3-9 power.

Last edited:

wingman

I have the BTV model with an 8-32x44 scope,very accurate at 100yards but "very" wind sensitive and like most rim fires prefers certain ammo, so far federal 17gr works best.
You do need a 14 power or above scope to get the best out of this rifle, IMO.

Rob96

like most rim fires prefers certain ammo, so far federal 17gr works best.

Oddly enough. I just read in a Predator hunting magazine, that no matter what brand of 17hmr ammo you use, it is all made by the same manufacturer. My guess is that would be Hornady if true.

wingman

Oddly enough. I just read in a Predator hunting magazine, that no matter what brand of 17hmr ammo you use, it is all made by the same manufacturer. My guess is that would be Hornady if true.

Interesting,I had not seen that.

Rob96

It was in a question and answer section. The question was in regards to the Remington rifle recall. This information about the ammo was provided as an answer by Remington themselves. The magazine was Predator Extreme. Kinda makes sense considering in the 17gr loads they are all using V-Max bullets, with the exception of Remington. They must be supplying Accutips.