New Savage 110 Predator

kilotanker22

I have been looking for a .223 Rem bolt rifle for almost a year now. In my local area, anything .223, 5.56 or 308 is non existent.

Last night I found a Savage 110 Predator in .223 Rem. Of course, I quickly decided to buy it and put my spare Bushnell Engage Tactical 3-12x40 scope on it. I would rather have a Vortex or Leupold, but the Bushnell is working nicely.

Anyway, I really wanted something with a 1:8 twist, but this has a 1:9. So I am figuring that my 75 grain BTHP are out of the question, shame too cause I have over 1000 of them. So I think I am going to shoot the 69 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullets, since I have 500 of those on hand.

On the bright side it shoots the Frontier XM193 ammo reasonably well so I am sure it will shoot pretty well. 12 rounds a little over MOA. I am gonna blame it on wind, but who knows. It was very windy today.

Attachments

• xm193.jpg
    xm193.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 102
The way the group looks could definitely be wind induced. Is the rifle brand new? If so, it's been my experience that rifles improve in accuracy over the first hundred or so rounds. And hand loads will likely improve the accuracy as well. Good job!

kilotanker22

This rifle does shoot pretty well with the 69 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullet and a healthy dose of BLC-(2). The image below shows my first 7 shots with this load. Point of impact changed a little from the previous bullet, which I expected. So you will see two shots low and right, before I adjusted my optic a little and decided to just shoot the group.

Overall it shot well and velocity spread was ok, but could be better ES of 30 fps. I am going to increase my powder charge slightly and go from there.

Attachments

• 223, 69 grain hpbt.jpg
    223, 69 grain hpbt.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 40

Rimfire5

Kilotanker,

I have a Savage 12 FV 1:9 twist 26-inch barrel in .223.
I also believed the stability calculators that said 77 grain bullets would be marginally stable.

But when I saw a report from someone who said his 1:9 shot 77 grain bullets well, I decided to try them.

Turns out my 1:9 shot the Sierra 77 grain SMK and TMK bullets better than the 69s.

I then tried the same bullets in my tired old CZ 427 Varmint with a 1:9 twist 24-inch barrel.
It also shot them accurately.

I have two buddies who tried them, one with a 12 FV and the other with a CZ 527 Varmint with a 25.5-inch barrel.
They had similar results.

I've only shot the Sierras so I can only report on them.
My buddy with the 12 FV also shot Nosler CC 77 grain factory ammo and got good results.
You'll never know until you try heavier bullets in your particular rifle.

std7mag

I was waiting for pictures of the gun...;)

I tried the 52gr SMK for the last match i shot in March. 200 yard IBS.
I had these loaded almost a week prior when weather forcast was showing 5mph wind.
Of course that changed by the day of the match to switchy 20mph. :eek:

Still chasing. Shoot ok at 100 & 200 yards for groups. But the one shot per target is giving me fits!

I managed to pick up 2 boxes of the 70gr Nosler RDF. Initial tests show some promise.

I've heard good about the 77gr RDF, but those guys are shooting 1:8-1:7 twists.

kilotanker22

Here are a couple photos for ya. My camera sucks BTW......

Also I was surprised at the trigger pull right out of the box. The photo of my lyman tool shows an average pull weight of 8 pulls. Less than a pound right out of the box. Not worried about it really. It passes the drop test. Overall pretty happy with it so far.

I wish the 75 grain. bTHP from Hornady would be a little more stable in my 1:9, but the 69 grain will work

Attachments

• IMG_03042021_120143_(750_x_750_pixel).jpg
    IMG_03042021_120143_(750_x_750_pixel).jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_03042021_120117_(750_x_750_pixel).jpg
    IMG_03042021_120117_(750_x_750_pixel).jpg
    201 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_03042021_120216_(750_x_750_pixel).jpg
    IMG_03042021_120216_(750_x_750_pixel).jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 37

ms6852

Have you tried reloading the bullets using different loads and powders? You would be surprised what your results could yield starting from minimum to max loads.

std7mag

Wow!!
Lowest i've ever been able to get a stock Savage trigger is 1.5lb.
I'm looking at a $90 Rifle Basix trigger to get to 14oz.

stagpanther

The accustock I have on my 110 LRH in 338 lapua is actually quite nice; it's the only synthetic stock I've ever used that I found that I didn't need to do additional work on to shoot well.

Last edited:

kilotanker22

Have you tried reloading the bullets using different loads and powders? You would be surprised what your results could yield starting from minimum to max loads.
BLC-(2) is a slowish for caliber ball powder. of course I have worked extensively with these components and powder in many firearms. I could start all the way at the bottom as you suggest, but I am not willing to sacrifice the velocity spread. Lower charges are going to yield a bigger spread in this case, as in every case before it.

Besides once I adjust the powder charge to get a consistent pressure curve, I will tune the seating depth and it will shoot more accurately than it does now. You would be amazed at how much I saved in time and components by not starting all the way at the bottom, when I have extensive experience using the his powder and these bullets in many other rifles

To answer your question, yes I have considered using different powders, but given the current market chose to use a powder that I have plenty of and don't need to worry about re supply.

kilotanker22

Wow!!
Lowest i've ever been able to get a stock Savage trigger is 1.5lb.
I'm looking at a $90 Rifle Basix trigger to get to 14oz.
My Savage 110 Tactical Desert also averages just under 1 pound. I think 15 oz. The varmint accutrigger is supposed to be adjustable from 1.5-4 pounds. I guess I just got lucky. The trigger from my Tactical Desert rifle did take some work to get it that low. This Savage Predator rifle has had no adjustments made.

kilotanker22

The accustock I have on my 110 LRH in 338 lapua is actually quite nice; it's the only synthetic stock I've ever used that I found that I didn't need to do additional work on to shoot well.
I agree, I have two Savage 110 rifles with the newer Accustock and I have no trouble whatsoever with them. Until trying to install an oversized precision ground recoil lug. I had to mill away much of the aluminum in the lug recess and to the sides of the lug recess to get the new lug to fit. I then Glass bedded that entire section to make up for the lost strength from milling the aluminum. Shoots very well.

kilotanker22

Last weekend I tried some Power Pro Varmint with the 69 grain BTHP. Velocity spread was better and velocity was actually better than with the BLC-(2), which surprised me. I may work with this powder some more and see about closing up that extreme spread a little more and doing a seating depth test.

ms6852

I think the seating depths will help a great deal because it affects the harmonics in the barrel more than people realize. Many loaders do this but really don't understand how it affects it other than it shoots better.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

m&p45acp10+1

I have the model 10FSSV It drives tacks with a combo of Reloader15 and Hornady 68Grain HPBT Match bullets. That bullet is near the same length as the Sierra 75 grain Match King. Also give those 77s a try. It will surprise you. Mine did quite well with them. I just got a better deal on the 68s in bulk, and they do so well I have stuck with it.

RC20

Difference between 69 and 77 is all of 8 grains.

Unless it is unstable with 69, its not going to go nuts with 77 and a high probably it shoots at least equal.

The twist tables are a guideline to get you in an area, what you get in that area is not a snap over affect.

Its possible a given gun might not like anything in the area and say 62 is more its thing