New S&W Sigma

mrawesome22

I bought a new SW40VE a few days ago and so far I love it. I've put 300 rounds through it so far without any problems. The trigger is EXTREMELY heavy. But after 100 rounds I was shooting 4" groups at 10yds. Now I love the trigger. I'm accurate with it, and I know it won't go off in my holster. The only things I don't like are the big circles on the sights, and the plastic recoil rod. I saw steel recoil rod/spring assemblies in the Midway catalog but can't find them online. Do they make sights with smaller circles? And my gun seems to hit just to the left with my factory sights. Is there any way to move the rear sight. It's in a dovetail groove but I don't know if it can be moved. I can visibly see that the rear sight is too far to the left. Can I just tap it with a brass mallet or something? Thanks guys.

omegapd

Wolff Gunsprings makes the steel guide rod. I put one in my 40F and it works great. They're on the web. You'll have to order a recoil spring, too, since the original spring wont fit on the steel guide rod.

At one time, the original Sigma 40F was marketed as a duty gun, so I'm sure there's different sights out there like night sights, and yes, the rear sight can be moved over.

Glad you enjoy it.

MrApathy

the guide rod is for F series. have heard some say glock 19 or 23 guide rod and spring may work in C,V,VE series. havent tried it.

weakness of the sigma is the strikers same goes for M&P. rest of the parts materials and construction is suitable. dont try fire excessively

minor brush and polish work on the contact parts in the FCG can make the trigger smoother.

not much for aftermarket sights but they are available.

TxPhantom

Sigma VE models are great!

Glad you like your new Sigma. I've owned a SW9VE for about a year and put about 1600 rounds through it without a single failure of any kind. Great ergonomics and accuracy. For a $300.00 + gun (mine was $318.00 at Academy) you can't go wrong.
I liked the harder trigger since I used it for a ccw and car gun for a long time. Less chance of it going off at the wrong time. Kinda like a double action revolver. But that may have something to do with your left hits. I wouldn't mess with the sights until you've practiced a bit more with it. Mine still has the plastic guide rod and works fine for now.
An extra benefit of the Sigma, with the harder trigger, is that once you master trigger control with that trigger you will be a better shooter with just about any trigger pull, IMHO. I know some don't recommend dry firing but I dry fired mine quite a bit without a problem, so far, just to practice trigger control.
I liked my Sigma so much that I've bought a M & P 40 caliber and a M & P 9mm compact. All three are great pistols!

mrawesome22

Thanks for the great input Ausserordeutlich. You are a wealth of information (sarcasm). I've been waiting for a reason to put you on my ignore list. Thanks.

Be my guest. The 10# trigger is EXACTLY why you're shooting left. The sentiments expressed by the other guy are ridiculous, in that hard-to-pull, innaccurate triggers aren't good for CCW or any other purpose. If you're depending on a crappy trigger to keep you safe, then you need to keep researching about firearms. (No sarcasm, just wisdom and observations from years of actually owning and firing many different brands of pistols.)

MrApathy

most common problems among right handed shooters is low and left or just left or just low. left handed shooters its right and low or just right or low. but plenty of other directions that can happen due to human element.

consult the wheel of misfortune.
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/training.htm

but it could be the sights for real. try shooting from a bench and shorter distances.
start short distance and work your way out.

roman3

Choices we had:
1. Glock 17/19
2. Beretta 92 Series
3. Any S&W 9mm

At my leo academy the least succesful cadets were those who attempted to qualify with the Sigma, of the six or so who purchased Sigma's only 1 qualified the first time out, and two never qualified, even some of the instructors struggled with the guns trigger pull...maybe they would not have qualified with any guns and to be fair some failed to qualify the first time on Glocks and Beretta's but did so the second time...

If you like yours...more power to ya...