New S&W Model 57 Mountain Gun

41special

I just saw on the S&W website the new M57.

I absolutly love my M25 MG, I hope this one is about the same price !?

Anybody got a line on when we can get these ?????

An old west lawman once said when asked why he carried a .45, "because they don't make a .46"

BobR

I heard they were going to be available sometime in June. Of course, I could be wrong.

bob

Sturm

For real, the 657 Mountain Gun is back? Thanks for the heads-up! Should be able to get it from any S&W stocking dealer! ;)

BobR

This should make you verrrrry, verrrry nervous.

They are coming out with 3 .41mag models. The mountain gun is the BLUE version. I am not to happy they are drilling and tapping the MG for a scope. Kind of defeats the purpose of a light gun to go hiking with.

They are also coming out with a model 357PD. Scandium frame, titanium cylinder and what looks like a matte stainless steel barrel (blue/black finish) in 4".

And then just a plain ole 657. Stainless with 7.5 inch tube.

http://firearms.smith-wesson.com/store/index.php3?cat=293606&sw_activeTab=1

Hope this helps. I think you need the 357, that will leave one more MG for me!!

bob

JMC

Just when I thought I didn't need another revolver for any reason, they bring about the M57 MG in blued steel! :D

This is like a "gotta have", I think.

Sturm

I went to Smiths website and sure enough the 57 MG is shown in the new products section, but I had to go to the last page to find it. Evidently, I wasn't very thorough on my previous trip.

Bob, I agree, a scope on this gun would be about as useless as T#@ts on a Boar, but Smith is drill and tapping most all of their big bore frames now. You guys are right it is a blue 57 and not a 657.

Is it only my eyes? Smith says this is a 4", but the barrel looks like a 5" in the photos and if it were 5", I would get so nervous, I probably couldn't keyboard again until I had one!

Unfortuneatly, some folks might find that a good thing! ;)

Chris W

Is it only my eyes? Smith says this is a 4", but the barrel looks like a 5" in the photos and if it were 5", I would get so nervous, I probably couldn't keyboard again until I had one!

No, it's not your eyes: it's a computer generated image. The actual gun will look very much like the 25 MG.

Diggers

Thats a nice looking gun. But why does it weigh (just a touch) more than the .44 MG? (and the 629 4 inch also for that matter)

BillCA

All in favor of S&W adding a 5" barrel option to the .41 MG line, raise your hand!

Uh.. I can't count that high! :cool:

Now that I've seen 'em, I have to wait until they get 'em listed on Kalifornia's extortion...er..."approved" list.

I can understand S&W making the 657 in a 7.5" barrel for hunting, but sakes alive why can't we get one with a 5" or 6" barrel for us old-fashioned folks?

Once these become available in CA, I'm going to need emergency trauma support for my Visa card! :eek: :D

ForksLaPush

I'm with JMS, now I need a MG.
Interesting how they just sort of slipped it in there. If you pull down the model menu, there is no model 57, but if you search for .41 magnums, there it is. I wonder what other surprises are in store.

41special

MODEL 57 UPDATE :

I SPOKE WITH MY FFL DEALER LAST NIGHT, HE SAID WITH SMITH IT COULD BE 6 MONTHS UNTIL YOU SEE ONE.

SO WHO KNOWS.

An old west lawman once said when asked why he carried a .45, "because they don't make a .46"

SnWnMe

They're doing better than 6 months even here in Kali. Perhaps their roll out sked is different for each market? They got the 619, 620 and the 5" 60 here last month. That's about two months after they showed them at SHOT.

I think this is the first 57 in MG guise to come out of Springfield?

If this thing comes out here before the 460 then my budget is blown and the X frame will have to wait til next year.

Diggers

Want a big bang for the .41? Check out Grizzly Cartridge co. 265 grain FP at 1400 fps. OUCH.
Don't know if I would want to do that to my gun though. ;)