new S&W M&P 5.7

simonrichter

S&W is obviously hopping on the 5.7 bandwagon with its new M&P. The function is described as a gas operated rotating barrel. Does anybody already know how this works in detail? To, me, it seems unnecessarily complicated given that 5.7 obviously works fine with delayed blowback (FN, Ruger...)

Thx for sharing

TruthTellers

Can't say how it works, but when I saw it was gas operated and saw how it was higher in price than other 5.7's I said to myself that it sounds like S&W has a potential flop on their hands. The 5.7 market is small, but consistently growing and others have been making theirs for less for a year or more now and S&W hasn't been hitting home runs lately with QC on new to market guns especially ones kind of out there like 5.7.

I do not see any reason to purchase the M&P 5.7 over other 5.7 pistols.

DubC-Hicks

how it was higher in price than other 5.7's I said to myself that it sounds like S&W has a potential flop on their hands

The MSRP on the S&W is $699, compared to the Ruger's at $899. So really the only one with a price lower than the S&W is the PSA Rock. I guess we'll see how street prices look though.