New S&W Bodyguard .380

I had just about decided to bite the bullet and upgrade my Kel-Tec P-32 to a Ruger LCP, when I saw the new offering from S&W. It looked a bit thick, but according to their literature, is only .75" wide. Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer... :)

SWBodyguard.jpg

Fljayhawk

S&W 380 Bodyguard

Got my new Bodyguard Semi-Auto Wed. and just got back from the range.
Only fired about 20 rounds and didn't have any hang ups. The recoil as with most light guns is mean but I was able to control it and I'm 78 yrs. old. The laser works well and is accurate right out ot the box. The one flaw and its just my opinion, is the trigger. It reminded me of my years as an archer using a compound bow. The pull is heavy until you reach the let off point then it becomes easy. I had to use the second joint on my trigger finger to pull the trig to the let off point than pull the rest of the way using my first joint. And its a long pull. If S&W could modify the trigger I think they would have a super winner in this model.

Sid

I can relate to your description of age and the problems posed by a heavy trigger pull on a pistol used for self-defense. This is one of the main reasons that I stick with my Keltec P 32. The trigger pull is little more than 5 lbs. and accuracy is adequate for a close encounter situation. Recoil is also mild so it allows for regular practice at the range.

Locoweed

Keep a close eye on it as you break it in. My trigger mechanism broke on the second shot and it's going back to the factory. Posters on the S&W Forum and the Bodyguard380 forum are reporting more trigger problems, various laser problems, broken firing pins, FTF, and the take down lever falling out while shooting. Be sure you feed it enough rounds to establish reliability. One guy's gun failed in several ways after 450 rounds. Otherwise it looks like it will have a great future once all the bugs are worked out and I really like mine. BTW, the Allen wrench to adjust the laser is packed in with the lock and is a 1/32" wrench if you ever have to replace it. Good shootin' and keep us posted.

predecessor

I'll give it a try eventually but I'm trying to figure out what options this pistol gives me over the other less expensive pocket offerings already available. :confused:

Personally, I don't require a laser and would prefer the option to put it on or take it off at my preference.

I'm curious to hear how this shoots when compared to the other pocket pistols. The heavy DA trigger mentioned by Gary doesn't excite.

shootingthebull

Bodyguard .380 issues

Hey, I just read on another forum 2 specific reports of trigger issues with this weapon.

Both seemed to have a trigger spring issue (1 after firing his first few rounds) the other after a few magazines.

Just thought I'd post it here incase someone is looking at this weapon.

Elvishead

shootingthebull

Hey, I just read on another forum 2 specific reports of trigger issues with this weapon.

Both seemed to have a trigger spring issue (1 after firing his first few rounds) the other after a few magazines.

Just thought I'd post it here incase someone is looking at this weapon.

I hope S&W will repair those for free!:D

Taurus only makes you pay shipping to them.:rolleyes::D:mad:

Locoweed

There are a lot of positive range reports over on the Bodyguard380 dot com forum. Most people are a little leery about the heavy trigger pull but love the sights and the lack of felt recoil compared to the P3AT and the LCP... a real pleasure to shoot.