New S&W 66 more durable than the older ones?

idek

Not sure how common of an issue it is or if it's been overblown, but I've heard of cracked forcing cones on the older model 66s.

I was reading a little online where one reviewer said the new 66s are stronger in this area than those made before they were discontinued. Yet other articles about the new 66s make no mention of them being any more durable.

So has anything really be changed on these new 66s?

Sevens

Things have absolutely been changed on these brand new to market Model 66's. They use the new two-piece sleeved barrels.

Is this a better, more durable arrangement?

Well, interesting question! But we can suggest that it's quite possible they may, because it's been said that Smith & Wesson ended production of all the K-frame magnums some time back... and NOW, they are back. So we could suggest that Smith & Wesson believes they have found an answer to the problem, if Smith & Wesson were actually admitting that there was a problem.

Another thing we can suggest or assume is that with one of the older K-frames, if you did crack a forcing cone, replacement was a fairly involved procedure, and with the new barrel system Smith & Wesson seems to be rolling out across the line (incrementally, perhaps?) that it would be a pretty quick & easy "fix" at the factory if need be.

In the real world, where you, me, and all the other folks around here actually live... the new Model 66 hasn't been on the market long enough to garner any real evidence of, well, ANYTHING, except that many folks are happy to see a K-frame Magnum make it's return in the Smith & Wesson line.

One thing we do know:
these guns all have lifetime warranty policies, so you should buy one and beat it with NO MERCY and RECKLESS ABANDON and if it fails or cracks, make Smith & Wesson fix it. And report back right here! :eek::D

The new 66 models do not have the thinner bottom edge on the forcing cone that led to the breakage with older models.

Technosavant

I have one of the new 66 models.

The forcing cone is indeed fully round- no flat spot. The ball detent lockup on the crane also likely provides a little more push to keep everything tight so magnum loads aren't as likely to shoot the thing loose.

The two piece barrel (inner barrel in a shroud) is a good design that S&W has used on other models... mostly ones out of the Performance Center. The accuracy is excellent (mine is *wonderful*... much better than me), and it also has the nice side effect of easing production over the older one piece construction.

IMO, if you're looking for a nicely balanced .357, the new 66 is definitely worth your time. If you're still not convinced, then the 686 and 627 are always there for you too.

The new 66:

66_forcing_cone2.jpg

The old ones (image from Stephen Camp):

image012.jpg

The flat spot on the older M66 was to allow clearance for the yoke. What's being done for the yoke on the newer M66? Can someone please post pictures?

Colt46

I think you guys just convinced me I need one

I've got the 6" 686 and, while a nice revolver, I find it a bit heavier than I care for. I much prefer K-frames.

idek

Thanks for the replies. I own a 66-7 (the last ones made before they were discontinued I believe) and was wondering if it would make sense to consider replacing it.

I own a 66-7 (the last ones made before they were discontinued I believe) and was wondering if it would make sense to consider replacing it.
Not really. Unless you do something to kill the existing one, which is really unlikely with modern off-the-shelf ammo.

The problems we saw in the 1980's were largely due to light and very fast loads. Most current 125gr loads aren't fast enough to cause problems, and 158gr bullets are fine.

idek

Not really. Unless you do something to kill the existing one, which is really unlikely with modern off-the-shelf ammo.

The problems we saw in the 1980's were largely due to light and very fast loads. Most current 125gr loads aren't fast enough to cause problems, and 158gr bullets are fine.
Thanks for clarification. I was still growing up in the 80's and don't know the whole history of k-frame magnum issues.

ma96782

The K frame S&W M19/66 (and M13/65) .357 mag. revolvers were not ment to be fed with a steady diet of .357 mag loads.

Back in the day......Bill Jordan envisioned the "perfect police revolver" (aka: K framed S&W revolver) as using .357 mag. ammo for duty use. But .38 special for practice.

It was those pesky "very hot" 125 gr .357 mag loads fed as a steady diet that caused the problems with the barrel cracks.

Aloha, Mark