new S&W 642 -Vs.- old model 36

oldcars

I just took an old pinned barrel model 36 on trade because I have been wanting a J frame to carry. I havn't even bought a holster for it yet, and I just found out I can get a good deal on a New production 442 or 642 with no lock. I have never owned a hamerless J frame before, and I am curious to hear from people who have carried an all steel hammer gun and an aluminum non- hamer gun and can help me with pro's and con's. also the difference between new and old; quality, durability, and function?

Thanks!

Deja vu

I know tis is not what you are looking for but I carry a all steal hammerless gun.

I like the stainless because its heavier frame makes shooting 357 magnums less painful. I like the hammerless because it even carrying it in my pocket with no holsters it pulls well. I do use a holster now though.

Glenn Dee

This gun is for carry?... While slick back air weights are great... I'd go with the carbon steel 36. Well I'd probably do both... but thats just me. The chief (36) will be easier to shoot, and will always remind you of it's presence, and position. If your going to pocket carry in hot climates the lighter gun may serve you better, as it wont drag your pants down.

Jimmy10mm

Living in the tropical climate of FL I have had both the 640 stainless 357 magnum and the 340 357 in scandium. These are both hammerless. For pocket carry the lighter revolver is definitely more comfortable. If it is carried in a IWB holster the heavier gun handles the recoil of 357s much better.

The hammerless being DA only is an important consideration. I spent a lot of time practicing DA shooting with a K-22 when I was a young man and became fairly proficient. If you're comfortable with DA shooting the hammerless is fine for ccw as far as I'm concerned. Since both of the revolvers you are considering are 38spl I wouldn't even worry about recoil. Just if the weight of the 36 and the exposed hammer are suitable for your intended method of carry.