New S&W 627 Pro

dontcatchmany

Got a new S&W 627 Pro 4" today.

I likey a lot, muchly, real good.

I have a Ruger SP101 2.25 that is my first handgun (around 2000) love and I will never part with it (also got a pocket holster for it today). However during the period when some ammo was difficult to get I got a lot of 158 gr 38 spcl and 357 magnum for the SP101. Needless to say when I shot it, comfortable was not what my old arthritic hands experienced...lol...hell, it hurt. And I am not very sensitive to recoil.

Anyway, the way my brain does not work, I finally decided to get a heavier revolver. I have 10 other handguns and 8 are semis, including a 556 pistol. I researched and came upon the 8 shot 627. I wanted something to shoot the 500+ rounds of 158 gr ammo....and the 8 shot kinda caught my eye. Yeah, spend a good dollar bill to use up spent money from several years ago?????

After some looking and playing and initial cleaning I headed to my small back yard range. My boat was in the way and could not get direct on to my targets.

158 gr Magtech (I planned to shoot it one way or the other) 12 rounds (the last of a box) just to ....er...well..do not want to be too graphic.

First shot was single action at a beer can....luckily it had been emptied at an earlier date. The can had another hole in it after the shot and it was not just the pop top hole.

This revolver really shoots well. Tomorrow, I will move my boat so that I can fully utilize the small range and will try more ammo through. I might shoot all 500ish rounds of 158 gr 38 and 357.

The 627 is a dream revolver to this old man. 357 mag 158 Gr. and virtually no recoil. Felt just a tad stiffer than my Sig P938 which is not much...I was amazed. Quite a difference between the snub nosed Ruger and the 627 each with 158 gr 357 mag. I will find out what the 38 spcl is like tomorrow.

I still love my SP101, but it will now get used more with 38 spcl +P of around 125 grain.

XDforever

Kinda like how I feel about my Ruger GP100. 38's are like 22's and 357's are not much more on the recoil meter.

I have a hankering for a 627 Pro, but I also like the new 8 shot Ruger Redhawk STAINLESS .357 MAGNUM 2.75-IN 8 ROUNDS HARDWOOD GRIPS,

They are both HEAVY revolvers, but I kinda like the idea of having 8 shots in them.

Joe

DaleA

Either one of those 8 shooters (S&W 627 Pro or Ruger Redhawk) would sure be a joy to own.

Just to piddle in everyone's Wheaties though, I guess I might like a 6 inch barrel 'cause my old eyes appreciate the longer sight radius. But maybe a 4 inch would be handier...

Anyway, IMhO you both have VERY nice revolvers.
Good luck.

dontcatchmany

I had a 686 + 6" barrel 7 shot that I purchased used around in 2005....was somewhere around 250 bucks in exceptional condition. It was an exceptional revolver. However I found that it stayed in the gun cabinet as I did not care for the 6" barrel. I traded it for, at the time, about a 500.00 dollar value. Wish I had kept it, especially since I now have a place where I can shoot pistols .....aaarrrggghhhh. But I am also pleased with what I got.

The 627 has a slight edge over the 686, IMHO. But it is like Mama's pecan pie versus her German Chocolate cake, they are both fantastic.

CDR_Glock

I had the Pro and the Performance Center 627. I sold the Pro because I liked a longer barrel. It's one of my best 357 Magnum revolvers for accuracy and handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cslinger

My 627s were my first where I have come to peace with "the lock". I love these two revolvers. Still hate the lock in the side but in a way it has allowed me to shoot them more without that feeling of ohh my God this will be worth a bajillion dollars to a smith collector one day.

My 2 627s.
IMG_1356_zpsgcpsov6a.jpg