New S&W 1911PD

Patriot86

Picked up this Gem from the LGS yesterday. My first 1911 woot!
Fresh, crisp , new S&W 1911PD (commander length). Though come to look in the box I guess the gun was made in 2007 and it has to be the dryest gun out of the case that I have ever purchased. After a healthy oiling it is good to good though.
Going to take it to the range this weekend and put some rounds down range, will make sure to post a range report.
After I break her in I plan on sending the gun off to Novak to have some night sights installed.

I like the CT grips for now but one day I must just sell them and put G10's on.

306531_376660272368986_100000750489250_1182405_1127504790_n.jpg

Patriot86

Yep! Only downside so far is that one of the magazines that came with the gun was a Lemon, for whatever reason it does not like to lock into place. The other mag that came with the gun and the additional wilson combat mag I purchased both lock into the gun smoothly without issue. Good news is S&W is sending me a pre-paid lable and I will be getting a new mag from the factory soon. The reviews were right, S&W has some pretty good customer service!

Problem is now I made the fatal error of finding a local gunsmith who is short on work...says he can install sights in 2 days...Might be getting those night sights sooner than I thought!

Dumb question for someone who knows more about gunstuff than me when measuring the front sight "blade height" you do not include the "base" just the blade itself right?

Last edited:

tom234

IMHO you'll be making a terrible mistake unloading the CT grips. They are great for low light use especially HD at night. Night sights are an unnecessary expense and they won't hold a candle to the CT laser.
However, I couldn't stand ivory or white colored grips; black is much better for concealed carry.