New Russian service pistol....

SDC

How many "service pistols" do they plan on adopting? They've already got the PYa/pistolet Yaryagin/MP443, as well as loads of other pistols in production, for specialized and standard ammunition.

800px-MP-443_Grach_02.jpg

tahunua001

it'll be an interesting design to be sure. interesting that it comes in 9 para when russia is usually pretty steadfast about not being NATO compatible. also available in 9x21 IMI(never heard of it), 357 sig and 40 S&W...sorry 45 guys... no ACP for you.

Technosavant

interesting that it comes in 9 para when russia is usually pretty steadfast about not being NATO compatible.

The 9x18 is lacking in power by comparison, so unless they dust off the 7.62x25 Tokarev round, they're going to need to use something else. That means either develop their own cartridge (that's going to be expensive, especially when you have to buy enough ammo to supply a military) or just going with something off the shelf. It probably helps that the various Russian ammo companies all make 9x19- there's no need to make anybody buy new tooling or anything else. Just make an order and have it delivered.

carguychris

also available in 9x21 IMI(never heard of it)...
FWIW this is a boutique cartridge cooked up by Israeli Military Industries (IMI) for commercial sale in countries that prohibit "military" calibers. Many American gunmakers cater to these markets by offering export versions in 9x23mm Largo, but 9x23 is slightly less powerful than 9mm Luger; 9x21 IMI is designed to close the gap.

tahunua001

I love how it's single action only, rolling block design and has a forward angled grip and everyone is so caught up on the shape of the slide that they call it a glock knockoff.

Auto426

This article seems a little suspect to me.

For one, the Makarov was officially replaced as the standard issue sidearm for Russian military years ago with the MP443. Naturally, you will still find Makarovs in service in the same way you will find older AK variants in service, but it's no longer considered standard issue.

Also, the article seems to indicate that this pistol is being adopted without any types of trials or serious testing. Combine what with the company producing them being the same one that unveiled the double barrel 1911 to the world, and you can call me skeptical.

I'm thinking something may have been lost in translation.

Stringfellow

I remember reading about that pistol a few months back, when browsing their website to look at their other claim to fame--the double barreled 1911. I can remember thinking how could so much brilliance (the Strike design) come from the same company as such a bone headed design (double barreled 1911).

The only catch, is that while they took the time to create an English name for the pistol for export, they didn't research the connotation of "Strike 1". What happens after they eventually release their third pistol--the Strike 3? ;)

Promising design--I look forward to reviews on it...

Ugly but interesting. Should be a good shooter with what appears to be a very low bore axis.

Tahunua, did I miss something in the article? I did not see anything about it being SAO, plus the fact that there is no thumb safety; only a slide release. Just wondering...

dayman

Very interesting. The ability to use inexpensive cans sounds like it could be a good thing.
I can't wait to see how they preform.

Scimmia

Tahunua, did I miss something in the article? I did not see anything about it being SAO, plus the fact that there is no thumb safety; only a slide release. Just wondering...

Information about this pistol has been around for a few months, this article isn't the only source of information. According the the manufacturer, they are SAO.

Webleymkv

Quote:
interesting that it comes in 9 para when russia is usually pretty steadfast about not being NATO compatible.

The 9x18 is lacking in power by comparison, so unless they dust off the 7.62x25 Tokarev round, they're going to need to use something else. That means either develop their own cartridge (that's going to be expensive, especially when you have to buy enough ammo to supply a military) or just going with something off the shelf. It probably helps that the various Russian ammo companies all make 9x19- there's no need to make anybody buy new tooling or anything else. Just make an order and have it delivered.

The 9mm loading that the Yaryagin was designed for conforms with NATO specs in dimensions only. The 9mm loading that the Russians seemed intent on using is the 7N21 which is loaded well into +P+ pressures. What's interesting is that you bring up the 7.62x25 as it is my understanding that the Russians actually gave serious consideration to "dusting it off" (they were never dissatisfied with the cartridge's performance, but rather the size, weight, and expense of the guns it had to come in) but chose not to when they realized they could get about the same ballistics in a 9mm (7N21 is an 82gr bullet at just over 1500fps) that fits much better into a modern double-stack handgun. Here's some info on the 7N21 (about halfway down the page):

http://world.guns.ru/ammunition/russian-special-cartridges-e.html

tahunua001

Ugly but interesting. Should be a good shooter with what appears to be a very low bore axis.

I actually went to the arsenal website and looked at the full spec sheet, they advertise it as single action only. M&Ps(not the shield) do not use external safeties either and yet I rarely hear it described as a glock copycat. steyr M9s also make no use of external safeties either. to me this gun appears to attempt to take the best points from the M9(namely ergos and mechanics) and couple those features with the reliability and easy operation of modern polymer framed pistols such as the steyr, M&P or XDM. I think it will be very interesting to see how it performs once it makes it to this side of the pond.

MLeake

Is that a push down to below-the-bore-line to fire, safety?

I don't recall ever seeing one of those before. (Edit: on the FNX, that position would be decock, and would revert to horizontal to fire; this design just looks... odd.)