new Ruger PC9 - questions

jawper

Greetings all,

Just picked up a gently used PC9 (standard sights) on Friday. Came in the original cardboard Ruger box with one Ruger 10 rnd mag and two no-name 15 rd. mags. No manual or other papers. Price was $299. This is my first long gun and first Ruger product. Purpose is range fun and probably some steel plates. No serious defensive uses envisioned.

Took it straight to my indoor range and put 90 rounds of 115 gr Blazer through it (all I had time for). Initial impressions were quite positive. Functionality was 100% for both rifle and magazines. Simple sights were plenty to keep 1 inch groups at 30 feet (yes feet, I'm a pistol guy remember?) and 1.5-2 inch groups at 50 feet. Double taps and failure drills at 30 feet and 50 feet were natural and easily achieved. Recoil seemed minimal (remembering to keep the stock in tight was a chore for my unfamiliar muscles).

Of course I have a bunch of questions.

Papers - I'm a "read the instructions" kind of guy. I'd like to have a manual to go with the gun. Ruger's web site does not list contact info for their customer service people. Does anyone know how I might go about requesting a replacement manual?

Maintenance - The guy at the shop told me to beware of breaking this weapon down (something I've heard echoed here on the forums). He felt that a bit of lube along the bolt carrier once in a while and a brush and swabs down the barrel was all this little rifle needed (blow back mechanism, Ruger sturdiness, etc.). Once every year or two, he said, simply send it to Ruger for a check up and cleaning. Let them disassemble and reassemble. Now I'm a geek about cleaning my pistols (every time they're fired and sometimes when they're not) so the idea of just dropping a bit of lube and swabbing the barrel is rather difficult for me to swallow. I'd appreciate input on suggested cleaning and maintenance regimes. Please be detailed since I'm really new to this.

Accessories - I've ordered a couple 20 round magazines (the 30 rounders just look too long), the Uncle Mike's butcuff mag holder, and a cheap Gun Mate case. Also a Weigand Weaver-style rail. I'd like to mount some kind of dot sight on the rail and this is where I really need some input. Midway lists BSA brand 30mm dot scopes for $40-55 and Tasco Accu-Dot scopes for $55-65 (Pro Points seem to be $150-250). CDNN is listing Simmons 30mm at $40 and Tasco Pro Point 35mm at $90. I'd rather not spend 100s of dollars on optics for a fun gun but I'd also like to avoid blowing $50 for something that doesn't work. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks very much in advance for any input. I'm really looking forward to getting to know this little rifle.

Noah1234

Hey Jawper, can't answer all your questions but the phone# for Ruger product support is (603)865 2442. They'll be more than happy to send you a new manual free of charge, and while you've got them on the line you may want to suggest that they start producing the PC chambered for .45 auto. I did! ;-) I haven't had any experience with the PC as of yet, I really want one but I'm holding out hoping that they really will rechamber it for .45 soon. Good luck!

Ruger doesn't have an E-mail address: you have to call them. Firearms Manufacturers are required by law to provide you with a manual. Ruger is very easy to deal with and they will bend over backwards to make you a happy customer. What type of scope mounting system you need to buy depends on what type of scope you are going to mount. Ruger makes rings for the PC-9. However I also wanted to mount an optical sight on mine. I chose the Leupold/Gilmore LG-35. The tube on this sight is octogonal making the Ruger rings unsuitable. I purchased a weaver rail from Jack Weigand http://www.jackweigand.com/ . The sight has proven to be a quality item. Let me give you one piece of advice. Quality optical instruments can not be purchased inexpensively. You get what you pay for. You may be happy with a cheaper sight, then again, you might buy two of them before you realize you could have bought one good one for the same money.
I don't buy into any of that noise about not strippng any gun for cleaning. I have no intention of sending my rifle back to Ruger for cleaning. I disassemble mine each time I clean it.

jawper

Thanks for all the great input. I really appreciate it. Please keep it coming. I know I have a lot to learn.

Noah1234 - Thanks for the number. Called them today and my manual is on the way free of charger. Couldn't ask for nicer treatment.

444 - I'm in complete agreement with you re: cleaning of the weapon. As soon as I've got the instructions, the PC9 and I will have a little getting to know each other secession. You comments regarding optics are well taken (I've got the Weigand unit on the way already). I'll consider a little more $$ up front for less down the road.

Thanks again everybody!

If you are interested in buying any magazines for your rifle, standard capacity magazines are readily available. I even purchased six, 30 round mags for mine. It uses the same magazines as the Ruger P-89 pistol, and, since I have one of those also I bought a few magazines. http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

I really don't have any real use for the 30 round mags, but the government doesn't have any rights that I don't, at least according to the founding fathers. So I bought them just because I can.

dsh247

Just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in here. I just bought a PC40 yesterday and found this forum while looking for info about it. I wanted the PC9 but couldn't find one for a decent price. I have learned a lot from these threads and I think Jawper will as well. Most enthusiasts know that you can use the .40 cal Ruger clips as hi-cap 9 mm clips, but I have found that the hi-cap 9 mm clips work well as .40 cal clips too. I have fired 50 rounds through mine now with about half of that being with the .40 cal feeding from 9 mm clips. You may have to open up the throat slightly but it will work. You obviously can't get 20 rounds of .40 cal in a 20 round 9 mm clip, but you can get a damn sight more than the 10 that factory clips allow in .40 cal.And since there are no true hi-cap .40 cal Ruger clips, it's worth doing. I know that you can have the gun converted to accept Glock or some other clip, but why not just use the Ruger 9's and save a few bucks. Has anyone else had expeirence with this?

Tom B

I tested a Ruger factory 40cal hi cap mag in a 9mm P95. The mag was NOT reliable using 9mm ammo.

dsh247

I've had very good success for a number of years with Meggar .40 cal clips in a KP89DC digesting 1000's of rounds of 9mm from various manufacturers including reloads. Maybe you had a bad magazine. There is very little if anything that needs to be done to use the 9mm clips in the .40 cal carbine. You may have to flare out the feed lips a little depending on who manufactured the clip, but that is it. You should be able to go with .40 cal clips in the PC9 or any of the 9mm Ruger pistols with no problems at all.