New Ruger "LMR" Light Medium Revolver!

samsmix

Given the outstanding popularity and strong sales of the LCR line from Ruger, could we reasonably expect a medium frame 6-shot .357 any time soon?

A 4" or 5" version might be the ultimate "woods gun". A 5-Shot .44 Spl would be cool. Dare we hope for a .44 Mag? Perhaps a 7 shot .327?

Jim Watson

I would have thought that was a natural, but they are pushing their all iron guns with things like .44 Special GP and 8 shot .357 RH.

TruthTellers

.44 Mag is too hot for such a light gun.

Yes, I'd be quite interested in a larger polymer frame revolver. A 9 shot .22 Long Rifle and 7 shot .327 would be at the top of the list.

But this "Medium" LCR concept just to get a extra round in the cylinder doesn't seem like it's worth the investment by Ruger, considering they could just make 4 or 5 inch barrel versions of the LCRx.

HighValleyRanch

Heck, everything is a compromise. Trying to get more rounds means a larger cylinder, and then you start to get into the realm of no return unless all you want is a lighter polymer version of a K frame size gun. Which also would be cool!

But I have found that these LCR's are so light, that I can carry two LCR's for the same weight as one Ruger Security six. So that is ten shots versus six! And being smaller in cylinder diameter, they hide easier being in two parts, rather than trying to carry one N frame 8 shot .357 mag.

Make a 5 shot .45 and...

acb.jpg

reddog81

You mean the SP-101? It's been around since 1988.

They could only get a 5 shot 44 Special out of the GP100. I'm guessing they'll be making laser guns before the can fit 44 Mag in a smaller frame.

TruthTellers

Don't you guys know what the SP stands for?

Super poopy.

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't want to own a Super Poopy revolver when I could have a Lightweight Cool Revolver instead.

Obambulate

I conceptualized this years ago and called it the LSR Light Service Revolver. I'd like to see a polymer 10-shot .22lr, 9-shot .22 magnum, 8-shot .357, 7-shot .38/.357/9mm, etc.

TruthTellers

Obambulate, I understand the increased cylinder capacity for the LSR/LMR concept, but I don't see the point of having what will be a large, but lighter revolver. The polymer will be light, but the size/weight of the cylinders and the steel part of the frame will make for one top heavy revolver.

The small and light LCR has proven very popular for Ruger. I think that sticking with the LCR size and increasing the barrel lengths to 4 inch and 6 inches is the ticket. Still a small size for carrying, but more velocity and sight radius. Also, it would be very easy for Ruger to put longer barrels on the LCR frames and cylinders already being made.

Cosmodragoon

Wow what a misleading title. I thought it was a product announcement.

Indeed. The way I see it, the LCR is probably the best little or "pocket" revolver on the market. The SP101 is sort of a "medium frame", or at least "medium-small". They are good but I really wish the action was better from the factory. I think the center-fire LCR trigger has spoiled me and leaves me with what I think is a more relevant question: Why not just give the SP101 a better factory trigger?!?

After that, the GP100 is larger or "medium-large". (It holds five of .44 special or seven of .327 Federal.) The Redhawk is obviously their large size. So is the OP looking for something between the SP101 and GP100, or for Ruger to expand the polymer/composite style of the LCR to larger sizes?

TruthTellers

He wants them to expand the LCR into a larger polymer frame for the ability to hold more rounds in the cylinders and still be light-ish in weight.

I'm guessing he wants them around the GP100's size. Admirable, but of questionable outcome. The long barrels will be steel, so they would be end heavy and pretty unwieldy.

If these 4-5 inch barrel were put on the LCRx frames (which I would call the LCRxL), you're still looking at a fairly nose heavy gun, but much less so. Also, if the LCR was used as the base for this longer revolver, some of the same holsters used for the snub LCR could be used for them.

The only true benefit I see to the SP101 right now over the LCR and LCRxL idea I have is that the snub .357's would be easier shooters because of the weight. The 4 inch .22 and .327 and .357 currently available in the SP101would work just fine if not better in an LCR with comparable barrel length and be lighter to carry.