New Ruger LCR Owner

Boarhunter

I picked one up yesterday afternoon at Larry's Pistol & Pawn in Huntsville, Alabama, and I could not be more pleased. I do not wish to stir a hornet's nest here, but I predict these new snubbies are going to put a serious dent in Smith's J-frame sales in the not-too-distant future.

Although I have only put 50 rounds downrange (158 grain, standard velocity, lead semi-wadcutters), I found the accuracy to be more than satisfactory for a pocket gun. It is light-weight and fits an old Safariland pocket holster I own and purchased for a Smith J-frame.

There are two critical qualities about the gun that deserve comment:

First, after 50 rounds, my shooting hand did not shake like I had the palsy. In fact, shooting the gun was not unpleasant at all. I believe I could have shot another 100 rounds and still operate my computer mouse without having the curser jump uncontrollably. I have quite a number of snubby Smith and Taurus revolvers. And they can be miserable to shoot. How Ruger did it, I do not know, but its design clearly takes the sting out of shooting.

Second, the trigger pull is at least as good as is being reported by the company and by the gun-testers. Nice, nice smooth trigger pull. Though I have not tested its weight, it feels far lighter than that on other snubbies I own.

I like the gun a good bit, and I strongly recommend that all snubby lovers out there get their name on the list. I do not believe many will regret the purchase.

Boarhunter

Kreyzhorse

If the price settles to Airweight levels and this gun rolls out without any issues, I'd expect Ruger to dent the Airweight sales. Personally, I'm not in the market for a LCR, but I'd love to shoot one. I hope Ruger has a hit with this baby.

Congrats on the new gun.

Boarhunter

We are fortunate here in Huntsville; Larry's does not make a practice of marking up guns to cash in on limited availability. I do not know what the price will be once guns come rolling in (this was a unique opportunity), but expect them here to be reasonably priced.

Boarhunter

MK11

Have you tried it with speed loaders yet? I've seen reports that the grip won't accommodate HKS or Safariland speedloaders. If it turn out they do, I think I'll skip my planned 642 purchase.

Thanks and enjoy your new gun!

Boarhunter

I have not yet tried speedloaders with it. In fact, I picked it up yesterday between crises and considered myself fortunate even to have put 50 rounds through it at their in-door range. I will be out and about again tomorrow and hope to put more rounds through it. And while I am at Larry's, I will see how their speedloaders work with the grips.

Boarhunter

OhioAAA

I will be getting mine somewhere between $469.99~509.99.
Local dealer would not give me a price, asked for a $100 down payment and promised a delivery within 4 weeks.

I CANNOT WAIT.

jamstutz

I'm not Boarhunter, but I have an LCR and have tried the speedloaders. Safariland don't fit at all and HKS 36's sort of work with round-nosed bullets. I personally find neither speedloaders to operate satisfactorily with the LCR and will use Bianchi speed strips for my reloads.

RugerLCR-Nemesis-SpeedStrips.jpg

Last edited:

Boarhunter

Teuthis,

The weight of the two guns is reasonably close from a practical standpoint (i.e., one in the pocket does not feel noticeably heavier than the other). But from a size and bulk standpoint, the LCP has the LCR beat hands-down. The LCR is significantly larger than the LCP...a night-and-day difference. Having said that, though, I have no problem whatsoever conveniently carrying the LCR concealed in the front pocket of a pair of slacks.

Boarhunter