New Ruger 44 mag "Deerfield"?

Wyosmith

Who among the readers has experience (good or bad) with the "Deerfield Carbine" Ruger brought out a few years ago?
Let's hear your reports.

mxsailor803

They are great little rifles. I love mine and will not get rid of it. Now, I use mine primarily for deer/hog hunting and keep my shots within 100yds. Will the rifle do better than that? Yes. Could I do better than that with it? Sure, with a lot more trigger time that I just don't get anymore. If you plan to reload, DO NOT feed it cast bullets. Any jacketed or semi-jacketed bullet is fine. Cast bullets will clog up the gas ports and you will pay hell and back to clean them out (experience, trust me). Try to find extra mags for the range as well. These things are a blast to shoot. Enjoy.

9x19

I had one and mine would easily shoot into 1.75” at 100 yards with Hornady's 240 XTP hollow points.

My post from long ago...

The rifle uses the same basic receiver as the Mini 14/30, but the trigger group is more akin to the 10/22 than it is the Mini 14, which I appreciate. It uses the same mags as the bolt action 77/44 but they're not the same as the 96/44 lever action mags.

I haven't had any problems with the 220 and 240 grain loads I've tried but the 180s and 200s both stove-piped on extraction. The 265s also load alright but some of the 300s, if crimped in the cannelure, might not fit the magazine. Mine likes the 240s and 265s, and so do I, so it's not a big deal to me.

Wyosmith

9X19, have you used many of the 265Gr Hornadys in your Deerfield?
I am thinking that bullet may be the cats meow in that carbine. I called Ruger and they said the Deerfields were rifled 1-20" so the 265s may be ideal for pigs, bear and deer.

I had a Browning M92 years ago and I killed deer and antelope both with it using Hornady 265s. They made exit wounds of about 1" but I have never recovered one so I can't say how much they open up. I also killed one bear with that bullet out of a 7.5" revolver, but it went clear through too, so again I have no idea how much it opened up other than to say the exit was good, and the bear dropped at the shot.

bamaranger

Scarce

Rare as hen's teeth around here. I have had my eyes peeled for one, and had an opportunity, but the guy priced it out of sight. Turned around and sold it without the mag to another friend for $150 less than what he quoted me. What a pal.

mxsailor803

I got lucky with mine. Went looking around just in general and asked to take a look at that Mini. The guy said it wasn't a Mini but a Deerfield..........bought it that day lol.

skizzums

cool gun, i had to look it up, my wife has always beeen attracted to her highpoint carbine. it would be nice to find another pistol caliber carbine that may be of better quality. they look hard to find though, all i can find is 750$ around here. what's a fair price for one??

mxsailor803

$750 is not that bad actually. I paid more than that for mine but its not like we have the option of shopping around for these rifles.

skizzums

i saw about 10 of them on armslist here in ga, all of them between 750-800. what kind of mag does it use? is it rotary?

bamaranger

yup

Yeah, its rotary, detatchable, and resembles in a fashion the 10/22 mag. Holds 4 rds (I think). They came out about the time all the fuss was made re hi-cap mags, and ol'Bill stuck his foot in his mouth. If they'd made it with some type of slanted box that held 10 or so, they'd still be selling.

fmhofstetter

Stuck Deerfield Magazine

Anyone had this problem? Appears to be a stuck magazine release button. Can't get the magazine out, and can't remove the trigger housing group to get it out that way. Help! Rather not go the big hammer route.
Thanks -- Fred

44 AMP

Staff
Welcome to TFL fmhofstetter!

IS THE GUN LOADED?
is the magazine LOADED?

(hope the answer is no!, live ammo in the gun complicates things alot)

Call Ruger, see what they want you to do. Ruger is pretty good on customer service. Find out what they say, and go from there.

9x19

Hmmm... on the Deerfield, the trigger housing comes off independent of the rest of the action. You just remove the rear screw and it pivots down.

Is the magazine keeling the trigger housing from moving down at the rear?

fmhofstetter

Stuck Deerfield Magazine

Correct. I can rotate the trigger housing down about 30 degrees but it's hanging up on the magazine. Got a query into Ruger, and a gunsmith down the street unless someone on this forum has a bright idea...