new rifle

terrell

i am looking for a new low price deer rifle..i have found 2 so far remington 700 adl 7mm 08 mossberg 100 atr scout 7mm08...which one should i get

kennethlee

I'm not sure about the brands you name, haven't tried them, but I like the 7mm08 for deer. I think you are onto the right caliber for deer.

BigMikey76

Between the two, the Remington has the better reputation for accuracy and quality.

The answers to a couple of questions will help:

How much are you looking to spend?

Do you have a seperate budget for a scope, or does the rifle budget have to cover the scope, too?

Are these the only two rifles you are looking at, or are you open to other options?

The more info you give, the better the answers will be.

The best advice I can give, having gone through my first rifle purchase recently, is to go out and hold as many rifles as you can. Shoulder them, work the bolts, see which one is the best fit for you, and then try to find the best price on that rifle.

jmr40

Keep looking, you can do better. Stevens 200, Weatherby Vanguard, Howa 1500, TC Venture, Marlin XS-7, Savage 10, are all in about the same price range and are better choices.

7-08 is a fine choice for an all around chambering, but if you find another rifle you like and priced right chambered in 308, 260, or 243, instead of 7-08 I'd not worry about the difference. The deer will be just as dead with any of them.

While all the above rounds work fine, ammo for 308 or 243 are usually much easier to find and are usually less expensive as well.

Here is a good option that includes a decent scope

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...roducts_id/78126/Savage+11+TH+XP+7MM-08+NIKON

Last edited:

BigMikey76

For a total price of $450 or less ($350 for the rifle and $100 for the scope), You can definitely do better than the Mossberg. You mentioned a Remington 700 as an option - is it used, or did you find an amazing deal on a new one in that price range? I ask because the price range you are looking at is more common for the 770, which is an entirely different rifle, and I would not recommend it. The best price I have seen on a new 700 is over $500 with no scope.
Here are a few options that represent pretty good quality within your price range. There are many other options, of course, but this will get you started. The second one has no scope, but it is priced below the $350 mark, so it leaves a bit more for the scope.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...4/products_id/78128/Savage+11+TH+XP+308+NIKON

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...em./22/quot; Blue Barrel/Black Synthetic Sto/

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ifles/ThompsonCenter+Arms/TCA VENTURE 7MM-08/

taylorce1

I really think your budget is a little unrealistic for a new rifle. Now if the rifles you are looking at get you in your budget I'd buy the Remington. If you can come up on your budget to $450-550 it will open a lot more options to you especially if you are looking at quality used rifles with scopes.

Saltydog235

Go find a used Savage 11 or 10 in that chambering for that money. Either you're looking at the POS 770 or getting one heck of a deal.

7mm08 is to me the perfect deer cartridge.

Doyle

I would normally second the recommendation for the Stevens 200. However, not if you want a 7mm-08. That is because some genius at Stevens (really Savage) decided to produce the 200 in that caliber using a 1 in 11" twist. That twist rate is too slow for a 7mm bullet - especially if you want to use one towards the heavy end of the 7mm spectrum.

Joe Chicago

Regardless of what make and model rifle you select, unless you reload or have a stockpile of 7MM-08, I would recommend going with a rifle chambered in .308. I made the mistake of buying a rifle in 7MM-08 and when I could find it, CoreLokt cost $29 for 20 rounds. In contrast, 20 rounds of CoreLokt in .308 cost $19, and you can find it - and a myriad of other .308 ammunition offerings - everywhere.

shaunpain

Hmmmm... yeah I think your idea is great as do other posters, but your budget will not get you there. The price you want to pay on the glass alone doesn't seem sufficient to me (but I could totally not know what I'm talking about). I've never held the Mossberg, but my brother owns a BDL in .30-06 and I can tell you that the bolt runs like butter since it cocks on open. I like it better than the bolt on my Enfield. I think it's reasonable to pick up an ADL in any caliber for around $300 on gunbroker, but you will have to spend a few more dollars on a decent piece of glass. You could always opt to spend a little more tracking down a copy with adjustable sights (most Remington 700s do not) and you can just zero your rifle and i'm sure it'll hit to POA. Someone also mentioned the Savage 10.

I would probably stay with the .308 myself. You could try and track down a bolt gun in 7.62 NATO and as long as it's been headspaced correctly, you can use commercial .308 and have access to all that surplus stuff. It won't be MOA, but minute of man should suffice for your application. Maybe take a look at the Ishapore 2A1. It would fit your budget niche and would take all North American creatures.

JasoninSD

I'll start out by saying that the 7/08 is one of my favorite deer cartridges and I have also taken several elk with it too. I don't have any experience with the rifles you mentioned earlier but I recently bought a "cheap" rifle. Just after Christmas my local toy store had the Savage Axis stainless .243 with a Bushnell 3-9 on sale for $350. They were normally priced at $400. Anyway, the rifle is fairly ugly. The scope is certainly on the cheap side but that is easy to replace. Oh, and did I mention the trigger? About an 8 to 10 pound trigger out of the box, simply horrendous!

As ugly as this thing is though, it shoots tiny groups. I did find some instructions online for reducing the trigger pull. I managed to get it down to 4 pounds. I have not spent a lot of time on load development but I had some 70 grain Ballistic Tips loaded up and it will shoot 3 shot groups of less than 1 inch and I have even had a couple groups to go under 1/2 inch.

The package scope is nothing I would brag about but it has held its zero well enough so far. I may well get around to replacing the scope but it is not a priority right now. There are after market triggers available and I would probably change that before the scope.

Anyway, I was looking for an inexpensive rifle for my son to use on future deer hunts. I don't think you can find a less expensive stainless rifle. They are also available in 7/08, .308, etc. If you can find one in your area, it might be worth a look.

HDTVSELLER

the savage axis or marlin xs-7 are great choices also with a good bushnell scope sould put many of deer in the freezer. Its not a comp rifle but its good enough for my eyes.:)

270redneck

New to the boards, but not new to this delima. I don't know where you are shopping, but Walmarts across the country are starting to carry rifles now. At our Walmart here in Missouri a Savage Axis can be bought for $277. A Remington 700 with scope (cheap Tasco) runs for $417. This is an ADL basic 700.

I bought a Savage Axis in 270 Winchester, and a Remington 700 in 30-06. Both of my rifles are shooting less than 1" at 100 yds with factory ammo. And both of my rifles have Redfield 3-9x40 Revolution scopes at just under $170.

If you get the Axis, you will need to buy rings and a scope, as it has no iron sights. If you can get past the heavy trigger pull, it is an awesome weapon.
Mine has taken both deer (130gn Nosler Accubond) and coyote (90gn Spear Hollowpoint)

Beentown71

Keep looking, you can do better. Stevens 200, Weatherby Vanguard, Howa 1500, TC Venture, Marlin XS-7, Savage 10, are all in about the same price range and are better choices.

7-08 is a fine choice for an all around chambering, but if you find another rifle you like and priced right chambered in 308, 260, or 243, instead of 7-08 I'd not worry about the difference. The deer will be just as dead with any of them.

While all the above rounds work fine, ammo for 308 or 243 are usually much easier to find and are usually less expensive as well.

Here is a good option that includes a decent scope

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...roducts_id/78126/Savage+11+TH+XP+7MM-08+NIKON

Yep :thumbup: