New rifle suggestions

stan5677

So I have decided to finally breaknow down and buy a new rifle and have narrowed down my caliber choice to the 30-06 Springfield and the .308 Winchester. I have a $500 budget and need some input from the forum members in which make and model to look at.

stan5677

new rifle

I will be using this rifle mostly for hunting whitetails here in the east and if things go right an eventual elk hunt

jmr40

I've hunted with and used a 30-06 almost exclusively for over 40 years. I bought a 308 several years ago and none of the 30-06's have been hunting since. You get less recoil and a more compact rifle that will do anything the 30-06 will do most of the time. The 30-06 doesn't offer any advantage unless you are talking about 1200 lb Brown bear and by the time you get to game that big there are much better options than 30-06.

Is $500 just for the rifle or will it include optics. At that price point my 1st recommendation is the Ruger American for about $350-$400. I can't think of anything between $400 and $500 that is any better other than possibly going used. Above $600 or so there are some good options.

Beepy

The Ruger American rifle is a good choice. So is the Savage Axis ($400 msrp, street price about $300 - $325 +/-). http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/axisxp

The Remington 783 is also an entry level rifle with a msrp of $451 (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/compact/centerfire/model-783-compact.aspx) but the street price is much better. I paid less than $300 for mine in .30-06 and it shoots less than 1" five round groups at 100 yards. Very accurate for the price. Not very pretty, but it works.

Browning's x-bolt Stalker in .308 msrp is $860 but here's one on GunBroker for $700: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=532255296 It's a little higher than your budget, but it is a big step up in quality of fit and finish.

Then there is always the used market. You might be surprised what $500 will buy at a pawn shop or at an after Christmas sale!

Dirty_Harry

Another recommendation for the Ruger American in 308. I have that combo and it's great.

Another decent rifle for the money is a Howa 1500. They don't get the love they deserve.

Nearly anything but the Ruger American. Not built by actual hunters, IMO - get something with a blind mag or hinged floorplate. Used Savage, used Howa, used CZ 550 or new T/C Venture. And get .30-'06. :)

Rmart30

For $500 you should have plenty to chose from new or used.
Im a 700 fan but Ive also had 2 Axis, and have a 783 in 308.
Both of the Axis I had were very accurate shooters. I just never warmed up to them. I do not like their magazine, flexy stock fore end or their scope base set up. Both required buying a full length rail to get the scopes back far enough and the rings slid in close enough. Not ever had that problem on 700's or the 783.

The 783 I like much better than the Axis. I do not think its quite as accurate as the Axis was but I like it overall much better. No scope mount issues, the stock is much stiffer and the magazine insertion and retention seems much better. I got it when the fall rebate was on and have $285 in it which leaves a lot for good base and optics.

Fla_dogman

My 2 cents, if I had only 1 rifle to hunt everything, I would want the most versatile one and that is the 30-06. It can be downloaded to a 308 or beefed up to just under a 300 win mag. So you can have the best of both worlds in one rifle.
For $500 I think you could go up one level from an entry level rifle such as the axis or American to the Savage 111, weatherby vanguard or Remington 700 .One of these would be my choice. Just my opinion

Pathfinder45

Between those 2 calibers, I would definitely choose the 30-'06. And, I would look for the best used model 70 Winchester that $500.00 could buy. Even if I had to throw a little more money at it. And then there is the Remington 700; there are a lot of them out there and if I was going that route I would look for the best one I could find used for $300.00 to $400.00. Even a Remington 721 could be found at a bargain price. Perhaps even a J. C. Higgins Model 50. Whatever such rifle would definitely have to be worthy of a Walnut stock. No plastic magazine, either.

taylorce1

For $500 I'd call Whittaker's Gun Shop in Kentucky and see what they have left in Ruger Hawkeye All Weather rifles. They were selling them for $499 and they have a flat fee of $10 shipping to your FFL. If they don't have the exact dates for you're looking for they'll try to find it for you and within your budget.

SARuger

Ruger American compact with a "decent" scope will get you shooting tight groups for right at $500, bump it up a bit and get the Redfield Revolution already mounted and you will have a rifle that will make you happy for years.

I have the RAR in .308 and 30-06 and both are fine rifles. I have a Burris Fullfield 3x9-40 on the 30-06 and a Redfield Revolution 3x9-40 on the .308.

The 30-06 shoots just fine and ammo is relatively easy to find but the .308 is more versatile.

Pathfinder45

This statement must have gone over my head:
The 30-06 shoots just fine and ammo is relatively easy to find but the .308 is more versatile.
In what sense can this be true? There is a much wider range of bullet weights readily available on store shelves for the 30-'06 than any other caliber.

gman3

Can find a good Winchester, Husqvarna etc. probably 350-400 at Simpson Ltd. Check it out. They do in fact have several, not new but probably better than any new one you will find for that price.

Last edited:

overanalytical

Ditto on what Pathfinder45 said. If you have to buy ammo 30-06 will have more options (at least where I live in Michigan ). If you reload you have even more options from light target loads to big game loads. Stroll through the ammo isle and see what is available in each. I love my Win model 70 and my ruger m77 mark 2.

taylorce1

This statement must have gone over my head:
In what sense can this be true? There is a much wider range of bullet weights readily available on store shelves for the 30-'06 than any other caliber.
Today 02:16 AM

I wouldn't say that, walk into my local Walmart and you might see more .30-06 hunting ammunition on the shelf. However, if you include the 7.62X51 in the equation there is far more ammunition choices available for the .308 shooter than the 06. The .308 Win surpassed the 06 a few years ago in popularity, if you don't believe me just go to a web site like Midway USA or Graf & Sons and look at the number of options for the .308 Win and it will outnumber the 06 by a small amount. Include subsonic .308 loads and 7.62X51 and the gap gets larger

Stillhunter

For $500,New

Weatherby Vanguard Series 2
or
TC Venture

Both come with guarantee MOA or less.[with premium ammo]
Never seen a used rifle with that guarantee.

The TC Venture also has a rebate till the end of the year.

Biggest difference, 30-06 long action.
308 short action.

Both work great on any deer.

But if I had to chose just one,I would go with good ole reliable 30-06.

Pathfinder45

But we are not including military ammo, as it is unsuitable for deer and elk hunting and probably even illegal to hunt with in your State like it is in mine. Also, I mentioned ammo on the store shelf. I might be able to order ammo online and get it whenever it arrives. But if I need it tomorrow, I will certainly get it locally in person. Admittedly, there's suitable 308 ammo available again now that the buying panic has let up. I think saying the 308 is nearly is versatile as the 30-'06 may well be true. I just can't buy that it's more versatile.