new rifle opinions

rickdavis81

I'm buying a remington 700 7mag, well sort of. It's a 700 action and factory stock. Action has had some work done to it and has a 3lb pull. It comes with a wildcat barrel that no ones a hundred percent sure of what it is. Its of a 7mag variation. And a new never shot 7 mag barrel. My question is should I have the 7mag barrel screwed on or should I change it to something different? I'm wanting an accurate long range hunting rifle for deer mainly. Is there anything better than the 7mag for what I want the takes the same bolt head? Should I put the factory barrel on it? It's not the barrel that originally came off of this rifle. Or should I put a Shilen barrel or something on it?
Thanks

Smaug

If no one knows what the custom barrel is, you could bring it to a smith and ask.

Barring that, put a factory barrel back on it.

fisherman66

Have a smith do a chamber cast to figure out what kind of girl you are taking to the dance. She how she shoots before you decide you want something else assuming you can purchase loads for this "exotic" gal.

rickdavis81

I was told that loads couldn't be purchased. It's a 7mag case necked up to something. Whats it cost to do a chamber cast and have a set of dies made?

theoldgringo

Try calling Bob in the tech dept at Hornady. I know they make custom dies and he can fill you in on the particulars, or direct you to the person who can .......
Hornady Mfg. Co.
3625 Old Potash Hwy
Grand Island, NE 68802-1848
USA
Phone: 1-800-338-3220
Phone: 308-382-1390
Fax: 308-382-5761

Business Hours:
Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Central Time
.........good luck.