New rifle from DICK'S followed me home

Jack O'Conner

Yesterday, DICK'S had their RUGER 10-22 rifles on sale for $199.00 and I couldn't pass this one up. I've been hearing great things about the 10-22 for many years. The Salesman told me that his shoots FEDERAL 22 ammo best of all. Maybe next weekend I'll have time to try it out.

This scope was mounted to my 12 gauge slug gun for many years and proved to be sturdy while holding its zero despite heavy recoil. I removed the scope and mounted it to my new Ruger. It is a TASCO from the early 1990's featuring 4X and long eye relief.

Anyone else have stories to share about their Ruger 10-22 rifles?

Jack

Pahoo

Yes, they are stil that good !!

I'm sure there are plenty of members, in here that can share their stories. I have owned these little gems for many years and have followed most of the changes. The price you paid is good and hoping that I will see some local competition as I stopped shopping at Dicks.

The Salesman told me that his shoots FEDERAL 22 ammo best of all.
That is his opinion and not a fact. The 10/22 will eat just about anything and you will have to put in some Range-Time to determine what works best for you. ….. ;)

I have done a lot of upgrades on these and they are so easy to work on. A family friend, brought me her father's "disassembled" 10/22 and asked me if I would put it back together. I did so and it meant a lot to her. ….. ;)

Be Safe !!!

ThomasT

I have 3 10-22's now and have owned a few others. All except one worked without ever jamming or misfeeding. The one that did give me a little trouble got a new Volkquartsen extractor and that fixed that. I don't think it was the extractor as much as my spring was weak on the original. Anyway, problem solved.

Needless to say I like mine and will buy any others I see a deal on. The only upgrades I have ever done besides the extractor was to add scopes to two of them and I found one of the green laminated full stocks with sling for 25 bucks and put one of the actions in that. What a pretty gun that made.

If this is your first you are going to enjoy this rifle. Shoot a thousand rounds through it first before you decided Ruger didn't know what they were doing when they built it and it needs $500-1,000 dollars worth of add ons.

Forgot to add that no salesman can tell you what ammo shoots best in any rifle. Thats for you to find out on your own.

TXAZ

Nice Snag Jack!

Do you have a copy of the ad? Can you send me a link or post a copy? I'd love to get the same price here in Texas. They're advertised for $229 here in Texas.

kymasabe

I bought mine 13 years ago, is the little carbine version like yours, bought mine at Walmart. Only mods I did were minor. I added extended mag release, yellow jacket bolt buffer and a Power Custom hammer. Mine wears a cheap Barska 3-12x40 AO scope I put on it years ago. Mine is most accurate when the barrel is a little fouled, gets cleaned occasionally, and at this point has thousands of rounds thru it, I've lost count, easily over 5000 rounds, probably double that. Mine likes SK ammo, Wolf, and PMC Zappers. CCI and Federal are pretty good, and my 10-22 hates cheap Remington and Winchester bulk ammo. Good luck with it, it'll serve you well for decades.

pete2

I have 4 10/22s. All 4 will shoot any good ammo. They will shoot accurately with CCI, old Wolf by SK. Federal, Remington and Winchester will shoot, may or may not get 100% function or accuracy. I have seen that recently Remington Golden bullets are doing well but I haven't tried any of the new stuff. My go to to test it would be CCI mini Mag and CCI standard.

NWPilgrim

The 10/22 is a fun rifle. I have bought lots of 10-rd Ruger mags so I can load them at home and shoot at the gravel pit or range without having to shove tiny cartridges into them there. Anything CCI/Blazer, Aguila, or Federal shoots well in it. Not a tack driver but good enough for silhouette steel at 25 yds. anything Winchester or Remington shoots horribly in mine. Not really accurate enough to take advantage of target ammo such as SK, Wolf Target, Eley, etc. CCI Standard Velocity is about the most it can use to make a noticeable difference. Mainly I use Blazer or Aguila SE HV HP.

One enhancement to consider down the road is a light crisp trigger. I got the Volquartzen kit, but the Ruger BX trigger is said to be a good value. Then I got tired of fiddling with the mag release at the bench and added an extended release lever. But that all was after several years of owning it and having lots of fun right out of the box.

Pahoo

Story!!

An instructor friend of mine asked me if I would look at his 10/22 as he was having a problem. When I got it, I could not believe what I found. It had a folding stock and the previous owner had tried to do a trigger job by clipping all the springs, short. Oh, it had a light trigger but would not cycle. replace all the bad springs and functioned as issued. …. :)

One great point on these rifles, is that there is not one single component/part that can't be had aftermarket. They make them cheaper now but are still "that good" … ;)

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

Geezerbiker

This post is about the rifle.

Please don't (and this is a hint!) go off on the Dick's policy towards firearms.
I'll take the hint but since they're closing out on guns, I wonder if there's going to be more good deals to be had? Of course this happens just after I said, I'm not buying any more guns...

Tony

NWPilgrim

Did you happen to notice what stainless 10/22 was going for?

I have a stainless but it came with the plastic boat paddle stock. Which is worthless with a scope. A friend replaced his wooden stock (like yours) with an adjustable one for his kids and let me have his old one. The wood is much nicer than the plastic with scope.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I got my 10/22 somewhere around my 12th birthday, so I've had it for upwards of 35 years. It has been primarily The Great Slayer of Soup Cans, but it has killed them by the score. Mine has fed every kind of garbage ammo that Wal-Mart has ever sold, and without fail. I could probably count the number of misfeeds & problems I've had with mine on one hand. It's a fantastic little rifle. May yours serve you as well as mine has me.

USNRet93

Yesterday, DICK'S had their RUGER 10-22 rifles on sale for $199.00 and I couldn't pass this one up. I've been hearing great things about the 10-22 for many years. The Salesman told me that his shoots FEDERAL 22 ammo best of all. Maybe next weekend I'll have time to try it out.

This scope was mounted to my 12 gauge slug gun for many years and proved to be sturdy while holding its zero despite heavy recoil. I removed the scope and mounted it to my new Ruger. It is a TASCO from the early 1990's featuring 4X and long eye relief.

Jack
Son just bought the collapseable 10-22, sold me his Henry AR-7..1022 really a quality rifle, great fun to shoot and very reliable..

rickyrick

I’d like to get back into .22s, had shyed away from them during and after the ammunition drought. They really are great fun. This makes me want to go pick one up.

Scottcc

This thread makes me want to shoot mine next range trip. Mine is very accurate with Geco 40 grain LRN.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

TXAZ

Thanks Jack for the notice. The $199 special ended Saturday, it's back to $229, still an excellent price.
You 10-22'ers have fun!

Road_Clam

Never had any good experiences with Federal or AE cheap stuff. My wood ruger 10/22 shoots CCI standard velicity's the best. I recently acquired a few bricks of Aguila and that ammo shoots great as well.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I’d like to get back into .22s, had shyed away from them during and after the ammunition drought. They really are great fun. This makes me want to go pick one up.
Now is the time, because .22LR ammo is as cheap as I've seen it in a very long time. Buy it cheap and stack it deep!

ammo.crafter

10/22

Have been using one for 25+ years without any problems. Mine is set up for the rimfire challenge competition.

Got it at Dick's eh.

Hdonly

Bought mine at Bass-Pro several years ago. Sanded the stock down to thin the 2x4 into a comfortable stock. Got rid of the plastic butt plate with a piece of shaped walnut and some ivory (mastedon). Cheap Tasco scope. It shoots very well with almost any brand of ammo. I shoot it every time I got to my range.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Rugers 008.jpg
    Rugers 008.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 1,221
  • Rugers 012.resized.jpg
    Rugers 012.resized.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1,212