New respect for my AR

ligonierbill

I bought a Doublestar AR-15 three years ago when I was living in Kentucky. Hey, I was curious and Doublestars are made in the state. Put a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 on it and bought a big box of American Eagle FMJ 55's. Of course, I had to load some and run them over my chronograph. The commercial stuff went just under 3,100 out of the 16" barrel. I fooled around with a number of bullets and powders and got a load I liked with a 65 SGK over TAC that went 2,860. So I could kill a deer with it and fight off zombies, but mostly it was a fun toy to burn a lot of cheap ammo. Couldn't find more TAC to save my soul. So I was about to put a decent aperture on it and use the scope on something else, when I found some TAC. Time to see if it's a serious shooter or just a toy. Loaded 55 Sierra HPBT over BL-C(2), IMR-4895, and TAC. Again, TAC gave the best velocity, with the top load matching the American Eagle. A grain less still gave about 3,000 and looked like a good one, so I loaded 10 of each and tried them today. The hot load was OK at about 1 1/2", but the lighter one (25.8 gr TAC, CCI #41) shot two 5-shot groups under an inch. That's as good as I have done with a Remington 700 VS 22-250 and 55's. So the scope stays. This looks like a coyote slayer for sure. BTW, Doublestar is fairly inexpensive, and this is a standard 16" barrel, standard trigger, nothing fancy.

Mobuck

I've seen DelTon 16" M-4geries shoot 100 yard clover leafs quite often with AE 50 grain Tipped Varmint ammo. To make it happen often, you(well I do anyway) need more than 4-5X optics.
I just turned a 2-3" grouping 5.45 AR into a MOA shooter by switching from a 1-3x to a 3-9x variable. My aging vision is just not up to precision w/o assistance.

BWM

Mobuck you are not the only one finding this out later in life. I have a 6x24-44 scope on my target AR.

Brotherbadger

Great to see it working for you! Personally, i always like to support in state businesses too. It's great to find firearms made in your homestate.

mardanlin

Talking about scopes and MOA, I don't see how anyone shoots MOA past a 100yds with iron sights. Even my sharpest beads cover a 2" area at 100yds.

btmj

When a person shoots 1 MOA at 200 yards (2 inch group) with iron sights, they are not aiming for a target that is 2 inches in size. More likely they are shooting a target that is about 12 inches in diameter, but all of their rounds go through the center and form a group that is 2 inches.

And no, I can't do it.

Jim