New Remington RM380

Sparks1957

Just saw this news about the new Remington RM380 being unveiled at the NRA Meetings in Nashville, and thought I would see what your reaction is to this considering the fallout of the R51 rollout disaster.

It looks like a nice little gun, but I'm not sure if offers much that isn't already covered in the market.

Loronzo

I handled it today at the convention. It didn't really seem like anything game changing. Like an R51 the size of an LCP. I think the trigger is a little better than my bodyguard but not enough for me to trade it out.

mini14jac

Is it just me or does it look like a Rorbaugh copy??

I would like to get a reliable and affordable version of the Rorbaugh R9 (9mm) but the .380 market may be getting saturated.

lamarw

Maybe someone read the recent add from a certain online retailer.

Now my question is will it carry the marking of Ilion, NY or Huntsville, AL?

lamarw

Thanks hubris. Since Huntsville is supposed to be building the R1, I will buy one of those to go with my Ilion marked R1 if it is Huntsville marked. :)

I will suggest my Wife look at the RM380. She is always complaining about the weight of the Beretta Tomcat.

Shadi Khalil

The design has been sold to Remington and I'm curious to see what will become of it. If they own the rights to the Rohrbaugh design, then expect to see a 9mm version very shortly. I myself don't have every much faith in Remington reproducing these to the original tolerances and even if they did, no need for guns of the niche.

mini14jac

I did not know that.

Well, Remington didn't do great with the R1 but their 1911s have pretty good reviews.
As I said earlier, a tiny Rorbaugh 9mm that is reliable, and in the $300-400 range would have my attention.
But if it's the same size as my Kahr CM9, I'll just stick with it.

Sgt127

I had a Rohrbaugh 9mm. It was one of the most unreliable pistols I've ever owned. I must have gone through $200 worth of premium ammo trying to find something it would run with. Never could. Bizarre jams. The case rim of the ejecting round would catch on the case mouth of the next round in the magazine.

Funny...I remember thinking "This might be a better .380 than a 9mm."

I'll certainly try one...at less than half the cost of a genuine Rohrbaugh...

Shadi Khalil

The Rohrbaugh was offered in a .380 as well. I doubt Remington will come down much on the price if they follow the same production standards as the original. If the decide to take the design and mass produce it, I bet it will be a pretty little disaster.

Last edited: