New Remington R1

lamarw

I picked it up yesterday, cleaned and lubed it last evening and enjoyed about 50 rounds through the tube this afternoon.

The fit and finish of this relatively inexpensive 1911 is pretty good in my opinion. It certainly is tighter than any of the M1911's and or M1911A1's I have ever experienced.

I mixed my rounds fired with personal handloads of ball and hollow point. There was not a single malfunction. At first, the gun appeared to be shooting slightly low by about and inch. Either the pistol got better or I adjusted. It was right on target after about two magazines.

I would recommend it if you are looking for a plane jane 1911. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• RemR1A.jpg
    RemR1A.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 205
  • RemR1B.jpg
    RemR1B.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 133
  • RemR1C.jpg
    RemR1C.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 127

laytonj1

Hmmm, that gun looks real familiar. Did you pick that up in Montgomery?
If so, I checked it out last week. Great fit and finish and seemed tight.

Jim

lamarw

Hi Jim, Bought from a gun store on HWY 231 between Montgomery and Wetumpka. If you saw it there, then it is the same pistol. Lamar

lamarw

Thanks Jim, It was the first time for me in this gun shop, and I was impressed with the store and the gentleman who assisted me.

To bootsedtt91, To my knowledge, Remington does not make a SS version. The gun I have is the base model, and they make more expensive models (Enhanced, Centinial, and Centenial Limited). The barrel of all models is SS match grade. The barrel bushing is also SS. The grips on mine are real wood, I think mahogany, and it comes with the free platinum service. This basically means Remington sends you a prepaid shipping label, and you return the pistol close to the one year point for a free factory inspection and cleaning. My research indicated a lot of buyers prefer the Enhanced verison which is not too much more expensive than the base model. I paid a five and a half for mine before taxes. As Jim knows, the sales tax is 10% in Montgomery, AL. Property and income tax are low in Alabama, but they make up for it with high sales tax.

LockedBreech

I'm starting to hear more and more satisfied owners of this 1911, which makes me think some of the initial problem reports may have been ironed out by Remington. Good to know!

Congratulations and enjoy your new pistol!

Sarge

Thanks for posting the excellent photos... that looks to be a good, solid 1911 in precisely the configuration I prefer. If it comes with a good quality barrel, that alone offsets the price diff between the R1 and a lot of its competition.

Is that a matte blue or some kind of bake-on, Lamar?

lamarw

To LawScholar, What was the nature of the problems you heard about? It would be nice to know what to watch out for while the pistol is in warranty. Thanks

LockedBreech

lamar, it was never anything specific enough to notice a pattern, just occasional finish and feeding problems reported. The finish on yours looks very nice, and if it feeds well for you, I think you're good to go. :)

lamarw

To Sarge, Remington describes the finish as a Satin Black Oxide. I am not sure whether there intent was to immulate the old Black Army or not.

I mentioned the grips earlier as possibly mahogany. I should of known better since they are walnut.

Here is a picture of it compared to a less than great example of the "Real Deal".:)

Attachments

• Real Deal.jpg
    Real Deal.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 63