New Remington Pump?

Oberg

What do you guys think of Remingtons new 887 synthetic pump shotgun? After reading about it in guns and ammo I have mixed feelings. not sure if i don't like it cuz it is new or cuz of the position of the pump. But why compete against themselves? why not just call it an 870 with a different name behind it? Thoughts plz

SigSire

I've been investigating it and I'm not sure about it either. Unfortunately, I won't know until I get a chance to shoulder it, or better yet fire it.

But why compete against themselves? why not just call it an 870 with a different name behind it? Thoughts plz

I think they are doing it right-- it would be highly unwise to call it an 870, because frankly it appears they are very different. No sense in messing with a cult classic firearm that is still so popular today. I think it is better for them to test the waters first using a new name and not muddy the reputation of an established gun.

Doyle

Remington's track record of late with its new firearms has been very poor. The 710 was a total flop and the 770 isn't much of an improvement. They have been letting the beancounters design their new guns and the results haven't been good. I haven't seen their new shotguns yet, but if it was designed for "economy" then I'd stay away.

zippy13

It's going to take a little getting used-to; but, so did the M16/AR15. I remember telling a friend, a few years ago, when the topic of the "new" synthetic shotgun stocks came up: If you'd just invented the shotgun today, the use of wood probably wouldn't enter your mind. We have wood on shotguns because of tradition, not engineering economics. Many of us are old enough to remember the tempest caused by the introduction of the plastic pistol. When was the last time you heard someone complain that his new TV didn't cost a lot more and include a real wood surround/cabinet?

Smitty in CT

I have a question....

Some of the Express models have had issues with surface rust if they aren't kept oiled... Since these are covered with plastic, does that mean if these do rust, the rust just eats away until there's a problem?? At least if it's covered with the camo, the camo will blister or flake away if there's any problems on the surface.

Or, are these things "rust-proofed" ??

TxGun

If it proves to be reliable, I can see me buying one. A shotgun that can really handle rough treatment and is virtually rust-proof. As a truck gun and a gun I could carry in the rain with no worries? Yeah, I could see myself with one of those. Hell, I'd probably cut the barrel to 20"-21" or so (or buy one if they make one that short). Be about perfect for what I like in a truck gun.

predator86

a plastic reciever is just way to far.....remington just needs to focus and fire whoever keeps coming up with these ridiculous looking firearms that dont function all that well...

Tom2

I guess if it turns out to be a proven design and reliable, it would be something I would want, if I owned a big boat or needed a mud crawling combat shotgun. That is, if they make it in a short barrel version like some kind of persuader or the like. Might be aiming at the LE market with a shotgun that can set in the cruiser and not get rusty when Dep. Dawg spills his Coke and cheesy fries on it. If that is what they had in mind, well I will look to see if they come out with a LE / Paramil. version any time soon. I don't see me trading the Wingmaster quite yet.

Messersmith

The Nova/Super Nova has already proven that a mostly polymer shotgun would do well in the market. So I think the 887 will be a hit - especially if the retail price is under $350 as G&A said.

On the other hand, I don't think people were/are ready for a polymer type rifle like the 710 & 770.

RetiredLawman

I love my Nova. Polymer is tougher than steel. These guns are pertnear indestructable and can take any kind of weather. The only part that can corrode is the choke tube and it may be made of stainless. This is the perfect gun for those who hunt around salt water.

jmr40

I love the 870 but Remington simply cannot build one that can compete with the Mossberg 500 and sell at the same price. While the 870 is a better gun in my opinion they have cut too many corners and are having QC problems trying to sell it for under $300. The Nova may actually be the best of the 3 but it does not fit me at all.

If Remington can find a way to sell a quality pump with the same feel as an 870 and the same quality as a Nova they may have a winner. I want to wait until they get in the market and see how they do. Would love to handle one.

My first impression however is that it is going to be another flop like the 710. I hope I am wrong.