New Remington .380

gyvel

MY LGS has two new Remington .380s. My question is: Does anyone know if the frames are aluminum or diecast Zamak?

BTW: They have horrible trigger pulls.

cocojo

Aluminum and steel with no plastic parts anywhere. These are terrific little 380's and extremely reliable. I have over 500 rounds of flawless function with my RM380. Great carry piece.

ROCK6

Yeah, I have to agree, it's a solid little pistol. Excellent fit and finish and so far utterly reliable with a half-dozen different types of ammo I've fed through it. It's bigger than a LCP, but still a great little pocket gun. This is actually a great pocket pistol that's enjoyable to shoot a 100+ rounds through at the range.

ROCK6

lamarw

I hope they are good pistols. The right side reflects manufacturing in Huntsville, Alabama. Since it is a relatively new facility, we can only hope the quality is up to standard.

cocojo

First off the trigger is typical DAO and if you are not a revolver shooter and have only shot striker guns, then yes it will take some getting use to. These are hide out guns not range guns, so it's up close and personal. The DAO trigger is not bad and will take some practice. The gun it's self feels and shoots like a real gun and has a nice grip. I have big hands and have no problem. There is a video on you tube on the Remington RM380 and how to shoot the DAO only trigger. It's a good video, check it out! These pistol are very well made and extremely reliable with everything I have shot through it.

tirod

I've handled one and they handled nice. Fit and finish were good, and the slide wasn't hard to rack. Considering many of the DAO guns in this category the trigger is no worse than the average.

The RM380 is certainly much better than the R51 that preceded it and is a good example of how the new Huntsville facility can produce high quality guns.

The issue is whether the trigger is acceptable - which is something I was concerned about. It was long, which is typical for these, no improvement compared to an LCP. The weight wasn't high, most are at least 6 pounds and up. In the world of pistols that is close to the norm for a pocket pistol or revolver. These are often carried close to the body or in a pocket, and they often have no other safety. So, just like a revolver, they have a long trigger pull and they aren't light, either.

Nothing wrong with that, the market has alternatives. If somebody wants short and light, the SIG P238 is that, and has a safety. The Kahr isn't as long - the RM380 has to be pulled back almost to the frame.

Pick the features and qualities you like, be prepared there is a consistent set of features in this genre, and a few others that are definitely offering alternatives.

Horrible long trigger? Compared to a tuned 1911 competition, maybe, but something like that shouldn't be the epitome of a street carry gun for CCW, either. Race guns have offsetting disadvantages, too, and for the most part tactical guns have been setting the trigger weight at six pounds for over 100 years. Including the GI 1911.

I didn't have the hand size or grip ability that is needed for using the RM380 and choose something else, but I wouldn't pass on this until you have actually tried it. I was sampling trigger pulls and how the guns handled - which led me to choosing one that wasn't even on the list. And it turns out to be a good range shooter for a .380.

Try the trigger and shoot it to know, because until you do, you never know. What some of us do like or don't isn't necessarily how it might work for you.

gyvel

The trigger pull is very similar to other small DAO guns I have handled. (In particular the Beretta Tomcat which also had a horrendous trigger pull.)

The problem I am having is the extremely long travel which, because of my relatively short fingers causes the tip of my finger to get pinched between the trigger tip and the trigger guard at the rearmost portion of the pull arc.

I have lots of revolvers and generally the DA pulls are not nearly as long as this thing.

I looked at them again today and, overall, I have to say they are pretty decent overall, and look to be well made and machined.

I guess the question now is: Do I want to retire my Browning 1910 .380 after 40+ years.

Last edited:

WLJ

Don't know if you're aware that the new Remington 380s are in fact a Rohrbaugh design. Remington bought out Rohrbaugh and are now selling them, with a few changes. . A Rohrbaugh R9 (9mm) is my pocket carry gun. It uses same frame as the 380 version so they're the exact same size. Remington so far has not shown any signs, that I'm aware of, of releasing the 9mm version.

Changes they made that I'm aware of from the original design.

1) Changed the mag release from a heel release to a side mounted button release. I personally prefer the original heel release for pocket carry due to fact I've had the pressure of my leg pressing against the button release pop the mag out in my pocket with two other brand pocket guns. YMMV

2) Added a slide lock/release. Rohrbaugh's wanted the guns as smooth sided as possible so as to have nothing to snag on and minimize any opening to effectively seal the gun against pocket lint. Remington decided otherwise.

Last edited:

Ibmikey

My RM 380 is very reliable and 10 yard accurate i do not know if the finish is durable as surface scratches have ocurred and not easy to clean off. Take down and cleaning are easily accomplished.

Capt. Mako

Just ran my RM380 at the range for it's debut. Put 60 rounds through it of various flavored .380 including old ball and various hollow-point ammo. Ran flawlessly. Didn't have any issues with the trigger being long double-action. Love that gun, but I figured I would as I owned 3 Rohrbaughs in the past, too. Highly recommend the RM380. Cheers!

franco45

I've had my RM380 for about a year now. I can't think of a pocket 380 I'd rather own. The Sig and Kimber 380 offerings are nice but I prefer dao for pocket carry. I have sold all my other 380's except for my Beretta 84fs.

briandg

A pocket pistol should be Dao with a long, stiff pull. I don't think that it can be safe otherwise.

Everyone should do some training with a revolver or Dao semi. That's just common sense. Same thing regarding bolt rifles for accuracy. Experience with assorted weapons is what gives versatility.

Damon555

I own an RM380 because my mother chose it as her carry gun for the sole reason that she could actually rack the slide but in the end didn't like the bark of such a small pistol.

She asked if I'd sell it for her....I told her right off the bat that I wanted it....so I purchased it. This little pistol is perfect for the job that it is intended for.....which is to shoot just enough to stay proficient with and carry a lot.

Yes the trigger sucks.....but I also understand that this is the nature of the beast. If you are looking for an easily concealable DAO 380 and can handle a little recoil, a little muzzle blast and a lot of trigger then this is the pistol for you!

unclenunzie

There is one plastic part in the RM380 (other than the grips). The mainspring retainer is plastic in the heel of the grip. I replaced it with a stainless version for $15. Other than that it is all metal as noted above.

Mine has become my favored pocket pistol because it is light, but not too light. small, but not too small. The trigger pull is long, and it stacks at the end, but it break clean. I did a little bit of smoothing of the trigger bar where it cams the hammer back and where it resets. Very lightly by hand with 1000 grit sandpaper. I used a synthetic grease to lube it. Very smooth.

DPris

Member Emeritus
The long trigger is it's biggest downside.
If you can tolerate that, not a bad pistol.
Denis