New Rem 700 Feeding Problem!!!

N00b_Shooter

I got my new Remington 700P last week (Was gonna post picks but i changed the NF scope that i bought to higher magnification and i'm waiting to get that back) and i took it to the range yesterday to see how it was. I had an old 6x Weaver on there. It shoots like a dream, i havn't shot that many rifles but this is a million times better then any of them.

The only issue i had is feeding the last round from the magazine into the chamber, i loaded the magazine full a couple of times and just cycled the bolt over and over and every time the last round always got a little caught and i had to pull the bolt back and forward again, i also noticed that this completely flattened the tip of the bullet.

And ideas whats going on? Can i fix it or do i need a smith to have a look? Can i just replace the magazine?

Thanks in advance

Flumph

Sounds to me like a magazine problem. Maybe the spring is too short or not strong enough?

Replace the magazine, see if that helps it. If it still does it, then have a smith look at it.

j.chappell

Replace the magazine, see if that helps it. If it still does it, then have a smith look at it.

There is not a magazine to replace.

You may want to look at the follower spring. Depending on how your round is hanging up; be it going low into the chamber or high into the chamber you could have either a too strong of a spring or too weak.

This is my opinion and may not be the only issue that could cause your feeding problems but it is where I would start.

J.

N00b_Shooter

When i try and chamber the last round it kind of gets the front jammed downwards towards the magazine and the rear of the casing is upwards towards my head. Dont know if that will help.

N00b_Shooter

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'm going away for a week but will try those suggestions when i get back, hopefully thekyrifleman solution will work cause that sounds the easiest.

Lucafu1

it has nothing to do with the spring. its the magazine (i know its not a magazine but thats what remington calls it. its to narrow which causes the spring to rub/get stuck on the inside not letting its full force push up against the bullet. get a needle nose plier and use it to open up the magazine with the floor plate undone. use the needle nose by opening it inside the mag well.

ac700wildcat

Before you go bending this and that, make sure the "magazine" is on there properly. I had the same problem with a new 700 in 25-06 and it turned out that when I had removed the magazine I put it back on kinda crooked. Once I figured out how it was actually supposed to be on there everything worked just fine.

ZeroJunk

Does Remington have a factory authorized repair center there. I would send it back. It's possible the magazine rail needs better fitting or polishing on that side for the cartridge if none of the previous suggestions cure the problem.

Lucafu1

when i opened mine up it was so slight that i could not tell by looking at it. but it made a world of difference when i pushed down on the spring.

but yes verify you have it installed correctly.