New reloading manual suggestions...

bcarver

I am looking to purchase a new manual.
I had a old Speer # 11
A new Nosler#4 and a Hornady Fifth Edition.
What are the current Edition of these manuals?
What current manuel do you useand would reccomend?

wncchester

The Lee manual has the most load data. Hogdon's annual has a lot of data and is inexpensive too.

I think Lyman's is the "best", over all, but they don't have as much data as the previous two.

Scorch

Current edition of the Hornady is #7, Speer is at #14, Sierra is at #5 (that doesn't count all the updates they have published over the years), Nosler is at #6.

You can buy a new one of any of those at Midway or Amazon.

SL1

If you like to shoot a particular type of bullet, like say the Speer Gold Dot, then it is a good idea to get a manual that is new enough to have data for the bullet you use. Ditto with a new powder.

Lee's manual just reproduced the load data from the powder manufacturers and added "how-to" material in the beginning (some of which is very good). But, nowdays you can get all the powder manufacturers' load data for free on the web, and it is up-to-data, there.

SL1

HiBC

+1 to SL1,If you are using Sierra bullets,the Sierra manual is a good place to be,for example.
I like the Hogdon's Magazine format Annual.
Those little "Loadbooks" that gather all the data for one caliber are handy,but I wouldn't expect them to be current.

ForneyRider

My old Nosler book is great, but of course, none of the newer components are in there. Their loads have been excellent for me. I also really enjoy the background on each cartridge.

Websites and booklets are were I get most of my data now.

I have a Lee book because it covers Lee equipment and covers a lot of cartridges. Lee book also has quite a bit of info on bullet casting.

Like the others are stating, if you have a preference for a particular component, get their book.

scsov509

I echo all the recommendations here, and would add that it's good practice to have at least two different manuals on hand at all times. I'm amazed to see how much load information varies from one manual to the next, so that it is almost a must to reference several manuals when working up a load.

What are the current Edition of these manuals?

I think Speer has come out with their 14th edition as Scorch stated.

What current manuel do you useand would reccomend
?

I have the 13th ed. of Speer's, which isn't half bad. ABC's of reloading is a really good book if you're just starting out, decent for reference.

Lyman's 48th edition has been quite informative for my needs. If you do get the newest 49th, be careful. From what I understand, there's changes made that doesn't carry over from the 48th.

wpcexpert

Just a thought...

Aside from wanting a particular manual for a certain bullet, why would you need to buy all those manuals.

You can go to the Hodgdon website and see all sorts of powders for the cailber you are using. They show Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester.

What's the point in having all those manuals? Maybe to see the above powder brands not listed above? You can find and print out just about any load you want. just a thought.

What's the point in having all those manuals? Maybe to see the above powder brands not listed above? You can find and print out just about any load you want. just a thought.

I, myself, prefer books. Also, even the most regarded manufacturers have different views on safe/practical loads using the same type of bullet, primer, powder, case, etc...