New Redfield Scopes

XLT

So... I did a search, but didn't find much from anyone who had actually used one of these since Leupold bought them...

Any opinions? Clarity, durability, consistency?

Will be going on a Marlin XL7 (30-06) I picked up recently

Thanks

taylorce1

I didn't think the new line of scopes had been released yet. All you will find right now is what is on the web site and if a gun mag has released any stories on them yet. In this months American Hunter magazine they did a one page write up on them I think they will be offered in a 2-7X35, 3-9X40, 3-9X50, and 4-12X50. Author said they seemed solid built quality scopes.

ohen cepel

I was just looking at them at SWFA, didn't know those weren't the new ones.

I think they will be a great buy for a while, I can see the price increasing if demand is strong though.

How do you tell if they are the new ones or not?

trooper3385

I could be wrong, but I think Redfield quit manufacturing the scopes a couple of years ago when the company went under. So any of the scopes you see new at the stores should be the new Redfield scopes made by Leupold.

fast-eddie

Optics planet had them a few days ago, a gun rag a read said the're pretty good, but who knows? I sure thy releaed them to compete with a the Nikon Por Staff and other stuff in the price range.

XLT

picked one up today, the 3x9x50 with 4-plex reticle.

Looks very clear, was happy with the construction... of course, durability will be the test, so it will be a while before that get's truly tested

will get to the range on Monday and maybe be able to give a better report then.

XLT

went to the range yesterday... BTW, it was a 40, not a 50 as I mentioned in the earlier post...

Very impressed with the clarity of the scope... of course durability is something of a function of time. But the adjustments feel solid and consistent. As good as the guy's Leupold sitting next to me, for $149.00...

Overall, very pleased with the scope, as I was with the rifle... Marlin XL7. Didn't have a ton of ammo, but shot MOA, and might even do better with a better "operator."

Wasn't too impressed with the Remington Corelokt ammo I picked up however, first two rounds out of the box were duds, looks like bad primers in my non hand loader opinion...

Last edited:

troy_mclure

I asked this questions in the rifle forum a few days ago. not too much experience there either.

Ill wait a few months and get some more reviews first.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
A short article in "Americn Hunter" was positive but not gushing. It pretty much paralleled XLT's experience.

roc1

I just bought one of the new Redfield for my Remmy ADL . It is the 3x9x40. I gave a $145 for it at my range. It looks to be a good one for the money it is not much more expensive than Weavers or Simmons Or Busnell cheaper lines.
Have not got shoot the gun but once so it is not broke in or sighted in yet.
Will keep you posted how it does once I get back to the range.
roc1

Booner B

i just read a fairly gushing review on it in one of the mags on the shelf now... can't remember which one off the top of my head. If i recall correctly, just about everything is up to par with leupold's specs, with the exception of the glass itself. I believe they said the image was a little softer and didn't perform as well in low-light conditions... but for a third of the price of the leupolds?? might be worth it depending on the application, i'm considering trying one out in the future.