New PX4 - - Beretta #9 :)

ShipWreck

Ok, picked up a Beretta PX4 9mm handgun today (at the Reliant Gunshow in Houston). I owned a 40 cal version a few years ago. So, I have experience with them. And, I even shot a 40 cal version a week or two ago.

Anyway - I'm not a big polymer fan, as I prefer rubber grips on guns, and polymer guns necessitate those dreaded slip on grips.

However, as I needed a polymer gun - this one is very nice. My mandatory requirements was DA/SA, and I prefer an external hammer. I don't care for the Sig Pro's grip, and I have prior history with the FNP (I don't care for their mags). I considered a Ruger P95, as this will be a bit of a beater gun - and I have previously owned two P95s just for this reason. But, while $100 cheaper, I never really was that excited about the Ruger. I also considered a P99 A/S again, but I found I liked the rougher texture of the PX4 better...

I did see a Walther PPQ, but it was in 40 cal. And, I wanted DA/SA. Had the PPQ been DA/SA, I might have gotten that (only the P99 A/S is DA/SA)...

So, in comes Beretta #9 - and no, its no a 92 :)

px4-9mm.jpg

ONE place had a G model with factory night sights - but they stole the 3rd mag out of it (the police special comes with 3 mags). But, I did not wanna spend $589.

Unlike others, I do not prefer the G model of the Berettas. I want a safety for some occassions.

balance

:D Seriously man, you're the one who got me to try out a P99 in the first place. Thank you BTW.

I'm thinking of getting another PX4 as well. Mine was a good pistol that never jammed on me, and it had an action almost as smooth as the 92 series pistols, while at the same time, having less recoil. I think I may get a compact though, as I'm a lefty.

ShipWreck

Well, I did consider a P99. There was one. But, that "hump" on the backstrap always bugged me. And, the extra recoil bothers me a bit too..

I did shoot a 40 cal PX4 a week or two ago - and it reminded me how much I liked the gun and missed the one I prev had back in 2008.

Jim243

The slipon isn't too bad, but I know what you mean. How do you like the PS90, Now that is cool.

Jim

IMG_1221.jpg

LockedBreech

Ah, my beloved Beretta. It all started with an order of arquebus barrels a half-millennium ago, and continues with some of the finest firearms made. They even make the venerable Smith and Wesson look like a pup with their mere better part of two centuries firearms experience.

Good shooting! :D

Don Glock

congrats :)

those px4's with their rotary barrels are certainly an interesting design.

what kind of reliability are you guys getting with those? thanx :)

LloydXmas250

congrats :)

those px4's with their rotary barrels are certainly an interesting design.

what kind of reliability are you guys getting with those? thanx :)

I've never had any reliability issues that weren't attributed to me experimenting with my own handloads. It's run perfect for me. I've never run the gun overly dirty though. I'm gonna give a while between gleanings and see what that does but I doubt it will affect reliability. That barrel eats up recoil. Amazing design that works well.

Jim243

No reliability problems with mine at all. I am not as picky as some and do not clean mine that often. (belief is that they are not cleaned untill accuracy is effected). So dirty they still work without a problem. The rotating barrel lock up design has been around for a long long time and is also used in the old Cougars and now in the Stoeger's (nice gun by the way, my best friend's son has one in 9mm). As to recoil it is hard for me to tell since I shoot 45 ACP and 40 S&W mostly, so the 9mm feels like I am shooting a 22.

You could do a lot worse than a PX4 Storm, reliable and well made.

Jim

10Ringmagic

Glad you like your new .40 PX4. I had one for a few years ago, and was on the fence about whether I really liked it or not. I thought it was the softest shooting .40, that I owned, let alone ever shot. It was also very accurate. I found it to be just a tad to large for concealment, except in the winter when wearing a sweater or jacket. It also exhibited occasional "trigger sting" when firing it in cooler weather. All in all, I thought it was a very good pistola.

I recently sold it to finance the purchase of another pistol, as it was just not my "cup o' tea" aesthetically speaking.

ShipWreck

The slipon isn't too bad, but I know what you mean. How do you like the PS90, Now that is cool.

Oh well, I love the PS90. I have had one for over 4.5 years. Last summer, I sold an MSAR AUG carbine I had, and decided to just get a 2nd PS90... That's my fav rifle platform after trying a CX4 Beretta and an MSAR AUG. So, now I have two PS90s