New purchase!

TPAW

Just picked up a Savage 10FP tactical in .308. Longest range around me is 200 yards. Any suggestions on rings and a scope. I would like to be able to see my hits up close without using a spotting scope. I was thinking a 3x9x40 but don't think that's adequate. My budget is around $250.00.......Ideas?

bobn

when on a budget i like three brand scopes. weaver, swift premium and finally bushnell. bobn

j.chappell

I'd look to Burris, Bushnell Elite, and Nikon for your price range. I like Burris over the other two but that is just me.

As far as rings and bases I like all steel and use either Leupold or Talley, neither has ever let me down or required shimming of any kind.

I say look at the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm with Leupold standard one piece base and rings.

Check out Bear Basin at http://www.bearbasin.com/

J.

lipadj46

If you want a scope with decent target turrets you will have to step up to $300 for the Super Sniper. It's fixed power though. For a real deal on a 3-9x40 hunting scope look at the Nikon Team Primos or Bushnell 4200 Elite both are under $250.

lipadj46

To clearly see my hits at 200 yards, wouldn't I need something with more power?

With good glass at 200 yards you should be able to see your hits at 9x especially with a good high contrast target. People recommend 3-9x scopes for shooters on a budget because that seems to be the sweet spot for bargains these days. You get a lot of bang for your buck with say the Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40 for $220 (it is a Monarch) if you step up to the 2.5x10 Monarch you jump to $390. You can step down to a Buckmaster or A Bushnell 3200 but then you are sacrificing glass for magnification. I guess it depends what is more important to you optical quality or magnification.

j.chappell

Quality outweighs magnification in my book. You can see more through a quality 9x than you can a lesser quality 12x.

Like lipadj46 said there is a big jump in price when moving from a 3-9 to say even a 3.5-10 in the same quality scope. You can drop in quality and get a higher magnification scope which is what many choose to do but in the long run you will be wishing that you had that better glass for its brightness, clarity, and sharpness.

There is nothing wrong with getting a lesser scope of greater magnification if that is what you really want. At 200 yards you will most likely not be able to see many bullet holes with even a good 3-9x scope in your price range. I have very good eye sight and I can make them out depending on the day and range conditions but not the greatest.

I hunt groundhogs with fixed power scopes ranging from 4x to 12x and have never felt at a disadvantage at even the longer ranges 300+ yards.

J.

tkofoid

I had a Mueller tacticle 8.5X24X44 on a 308 I recently sold. I miss the scope already! At 300 yards I could clearly see flys on my target. (I tryed to get one,but couldn't hit it.) I truely didn't know the value of this scope untill it was gone. I will be purchasing another. They cost $179.99 no matter where you buy it. check it out www.muelleroptics.com/products/MT852544.html