New Purchase - CZ 97

DarthTedd

This afternoon I played hooky from work & took my new .45 to the range. A fellow supervisor at work is also a gun owner so I took a few pictures with my cell phone to taunt him. :D In the next week or so I'll post better pictures.

img00008_45.jpg

img00009_45.jpg

The target from picture #2 is from 7 yards. I'm not what you would consider a great shooter (IMO anyway) but really believe this gun is very accurate. I've put 300 rounds thru it & am becoming more & more a fan of the .45 caliber. I do have Charles Daly 1911 but have been more of a .40 S&W fan over the past 2 years.

• Finish - The design & manufacturing is flawless. I also like the matte black finish.
  • Overall Size - The grip is large but for my large paws it's a perfect fit.

Dislikes:
  • The Front Site - It's not bad, however I had a hard time focusing on it in the dark range coupled w/ dark target. The color is a green and it seems to make focusing a bit difficult. I'm thinking night sites are in order.
  • Plastic Grips - This is definitely the worst feature. I'm in the process of researching a nice set of wooden grips.

Anywho, I wanted to share the pictures as this is the most expensive handgun I've purchased to date. Also, it's my first CZ.

DarthTedd

I started looking around for a new set of grips but haven't had much luck. After reading the CZ forum I realized the grips are actually wood & not plastic.

This weekend, I started working on the grips. Here are a few pictures. Sometime in the next couple of days I'll stop & get some stain & add finished product.

The one real bummer is the right side grip has a small chip on the corner. :mad:

cz97gripproject1.jpg

cz97gripproject2.jpg

cz97gripproject3.jpg

cz97gripproject4.jpg

OldShooter

CZ97

I've had one of these for a few years. I bought it slightly used and was immediately amazed at how accurately it shot. The grips are wood and work fine for me. I wouldn't want smooth wood but I might consider some Hogue rubber at some point. I have used it for IDPA and falling plates. It is so smooth in operation and damn good looking.

With some practice you should be able to shoot better groups at twice the distance. The gun is up to it, you just need to catch up.

schmeky

I'm a true CZ-97 nut. I've been pounding on this one for over a year. I have pushed nearly 4,500 rounds down the spout on this one. I love the accuracy. This is a 25 yard group from a sandbag rest. Shooting at 12-15 yards I can generally keep 50+ rounds in a 2" hole. It's just so easy with this pistol.

img0840zx1.jpg

DarthTedd

With some practice you should be able to shoot better groups at twice the distance. The gun is up to it, you just need to catch up.

I definitely need more practice. I'm actually embarrassed by that first picture. :(

chris in va

DT, I shot a 97 with a trigger job a while back. Seriously you need to get that done...it was AMAZING. Trigger broke like glass, zero creep, no camming or anything. I was punching a very small group and my skills were nowhere near what they are today.

Come to think of it I should get my CZ 75's trigger done here soon. Hmm.

jdrush369

i am interested to see how you smoothed and stained grips turn out. can you post some pics with them on the gun?

DarthTedd

i am interested to see how you smoothed and stained grips turn out. can you post some pics with them on the gun?

Will do. Last night I bought some putty & am working on the corner. We'll see how it turns out. Once I'm done I'll post the pictures.

schmeky

Good grief man, that's really gorgeous. Good job. Now it's as much fun to look at as it is to shoot . . . . . . almost.;)

On that chipped grip panel, just trim the other side to match, smooth and blend it, no one would ever know the difference.

ROCK6

Great job on the grips! I too recently purchased a 97B and the grips are okay but I was thinking about thing them down a bit...I'm quite impressed.

ROCK6