New Press - Dillon 550,650, or RCBS 2000?

Big Dog Dad

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm still going to post this. I'm looking for recommendations for a new press. I've narrowed it down to either the Dillon 550, 650, or the RCBS 2000. Anybody have any experience with the new RCBS machine? Also, which Dillon would be better for 45 ACP loading?

Doug 29

I've got a 650 and it is an ammo factory! THE VERY BEST!!!!! And if you have ANY problems, Dillon stands behind it!

jfrancis

Dillon. If anything EVER goes wrong with it, Dillon will fix it. Poll a bunch of high volume shooters (e.g. IPSC) and ask which reloader they use..... To be fair though, I'm not familiar with the RCBS unit.

As to which model, either the 550 or 650 will do a fine job with .45 ACP. It really depends on what volume you plan to load and what your time is worth to you. The 650 is faster, especially with the electric casefeeder, but the 550 can still crank out 400-500 rounds per hour. This is plenty fast enough for most people.

RCBS 2000

I use to collect progressives. Must have had 36, most of which I got to work. Dated back to the 1930's. In Dillon's I had the RL300, RL450, RL450B, RL450 Jr (loved that one, must have had six), RL550, RL1000 and Square Deal. Nothing wrong with any of them. When someone wanted to buy my press collection, I sold out.

Now I only have a RCBS2000. Wonderful machine! Really love their strip primer system. Would recommend this machine over the Dillon's.

Both Dillon and RCBS have a lifetime guarantee.

MADISON

Don't forget...

I have an 11 year old HORNADY PROJECTOR!
The press has served me well and, has never been back to the factory. What I do not like is their priming system. I went to the "Automatic Primer" by RCBS. It costs about $55.

HORNADY's new Lock and Load progressive, they say, is not compatable with what I have but, if I were buying, now It is what I would buy.