New powders - anyone used them?

cdoc42

IMR 8208 XBR and Hodgdon's Hybrid 100V - has anyone used them? Any advantages over what's already out there?

Jim243

I have used the IMR 8208 XBR for 223. 60 grain Hornady A-Max Excellent results a bit hot had to drop 0.20 of a grain to keep pressure down. (Winchester new brass, Win SR primers) 22.8 grains final load for short OAL 2.20 for an AR. Instant ignition and moderate recoil.

Rifle it was used for:

IMG_0481.jpg

Jim

FrankenMauser

I use a 1 lb can of 8208 XBR to hold down a stack of paper.
Results are good, so far.

(It was given to me. I didn't want it, and don't plan use it. I have enough "wonder powders" already. ;))

Kevin Rohrer

I just loaded some 8208 into .204 Ruger, but haven't been to the range yet as it's too cold out for the chrony. I plan to try it in my 22/250 also.

Saltydog235

Ran a test load in my 7mm-08 last weekend with 8208 pushing a 140grn TSX. The powder had good ignition but the round was inaccurate however, I believe its the bullet the rifle doesn't like as this the 5th powder I've tried with it and the same results. I may load some 150 BT or some 130 Matchkings and see what it does.

amamnn

I was surprised to see Hodgon recommending 8028 for both the .223 rem and the .243WSSM. I tried it in both and it works quite well in both my rifles.

PawPaw

It must be the season for new powders. I notice that Alliant has some new powders as well, spherical rifle powders in four speeds. And a couple of new stick powders.

Hmmm. I still use Unique and Bullseye, along with their rifle powders, mainly RL15 and 22. I don't know what I'd do with a new rifle powder.

Slamfire

The tide must be coming in. New powders, the best thing since siliced bread, totally revolutionary, blah, blah, blah.

I like short cut extruded powders. Ball powders are hard to ignite, not as flexible as extruded, and even though they throw better, I don't see any improvements on target.

Now if I got more velocity with less pressure, that would be great. I would jump for joy if the stuff cost less per pound, like 20 to 50% less, than what I am currently using.

But that is not going to happen.

The tide will go out and what will be left is the flotsam of copy from gun magazines.

A_Gamehog

I tried a lot of loads last year and it worked well in my .223 and 22-250. I did not achieve more speed but better accuracy.

34 grain Midway dogtowns
cci 400
Lake city brass
8208 XBR 1/2 grain under max
3 in same hole 2 others 1/4 " away

22-250
52 grain Sierra match
CCI bench rest
Remington brass
8208XBR near max load
5 holes touch at 100 yards

Limited testing with AR-15 in 204 ruger shows promise with all bullet weights.

Problem is I have lots of other powders on hand that give great results and a clean burn. When they are gone it's only Varget and 8208XBR for me..

Last edited:

cdoc42

Thanks, everyone. I know - it's like a sickness. I have a 6mmPPC that gave me a 5-shot, 100 yd group with BLC(2) and a Berger 68gr HP that measured 0.2882".

I have a 4-shot group that measures 0.2742" at 100 yd with my 25-06 using H-1000 and a Hornady 120gr HP.

But I just w-o-n-d-e-r if I can get a smaller group with 8208.....